Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop, ProBook 450 G2 goes into sleep mode even though the power settings set to never. The 'timer' appears to operate after 10 minutes.

This question was posted before in 2016 with a ridiculous solution and was marked answered. I have essentially recreated the question as version 2 and plan to leave it open until a real solution is forthcoming. 

I have Googled the problem and it's clear that the problem exists in a number of forms. Some solutions seem work for some users and not for others.

====

Edit 06/07/2017: I was working on the laptop a few days after reinstalling the drivers and it just began timing out again after about ten minutes. I reinstalled the drivers (again) and so far it's been ok. There is something very unreliable about these drivers / hardware. It would be nice to have some sort of diagnostic to indentify the problem. Reinstalling drivers "just in case the laptop starts working properly" does not give me any confidence in HP.

EDIT 02/08/2017: ... and the display continues to abide by the sleep settings - well the ones for power which is to never sleep. I haven' tested the sleep on batttery power, and I'm not sure I dare...

26/04/18 Update

Removing the battery  when logged in still seems to work for a while. Windows did get upset once and rearranged my desktop, but that appears to be the worst... so far...

The early timeout does return eventually about once per week, but pulling the battery resets it. I continue to try to correlate events with the early timeout with no success, but various suspicious. One is the time of day! I'm not sure now about clearing out the user temp folder being related.

Although as a side issue, I had to use the command line in safe mode the other day to clear the temp folder. Files and folders where listed as open by another app. and nothing would shift them. Well 50Mb of open files is not acceptible. I thought that I had resigned DIR, RMDIR and DEL to the mists of time but apparently Windows still needs them...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution: Pull out the battery with windows active!!

Well what a lot of messing about. I thought i had a solutoin a while back, but the screen eventually went back to early timout.

I spent hours trawling the net and tried as many fixes as I dare, all to no avail.

Then a few days ago the screen went dead, not just blank where it would wake up with a mouse click. This was "D" "E" "A" "D", gone, kaput...

The only choice I had was to remove the battery with the windows active which I did. That brought the screen back... and it fixed the timeout problem *?*?!!

I have correlated the screen early timeout problem with deleting the user...temp folder contents. On clearing it out, the screen timeout seems to go wrong within the day.

I cleared the temp folder as a test, and when the timeout began, I pulled the battery again with windows active, and now the screen does not time out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Well, what a surprise: I installed the drivers from the HP site for my laptop and screen and it now seems to work, that is for mains power it's set to 'never' and indeed it's been on for an hour or so and not gone into sleep mode. 

HP Recommended

Solution: Pull out the battery with windows active!!

Well what a lot of messing about. I thought i had a solutoin a while back, but the screen eventually went back to early timout.

I spent hours trawling the net and tried as many fixes as I dare, all to no avail.

Then a few days ago the screen went dead, not just blank where it would wake up with a mouse click. This was "D" "E" "A" "D", gone, kaput...

The only choice I had was to remove the battery with the windows active which I did. That brought the screen back... and it fixed the timeout problem *?*?!!

I have correlated the screen early timeout problem with deleting the user...temp folder contents. On clearing it out, the screen timeout seems to go wrong within the day.

I cleared the temp folder as a test, and when the timeout began, I pulled the battery again with windows active, and now the screen does not time out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.