12-13-2019 12:30 PM
anyway to add a new protection plan to my Chromebook, Stream, HP 14 ? i dont want the plan starting on the day my laptop got purchased since it was a gift.
12-13-2019 02:16 PM - edited 12-13-2019 02:17 PM
I can appreciate that you do not want the original hardware warranty to follow the original purchase date.
In so much that I am aware, the original hardware warranty for a device is dated from original purchase date of that new device.
Our community has no influence over warranty - not the structure of the contract, not how that contract is managed, and not how HP interprets the warranty.
Any Expert or general member of the community who tells you they know "for a fact" something concerning any warranty issue, question, or result, is giving their opinion on the subject.
"We" are not HP.
My Opinion - Warranty Start Date
When the original owner purchased the computer new, the included hardware warranty provided with the device starts at that date/time.
Warranty does not "renew" itself if the computer is gifted, loaned, sold, or otherwise transferred to a new user / owner.
What to do?
If there are options after the original warranty has expired, these are available as a purchased contract.
There may - or may not - be a warranty from HP that meets your needs, budget, and other requirements.
Check for Warranty Status and Read about Possible Options
NOTE: If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to
check single or multiple devices.
- If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page
- Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
- Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
- Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
- Click Submit(at bottom of list entries)
- When the page opens, Click View Details
NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.
Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.
HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)
Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document. Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.
Care Pack - Optional Coverage Plans
Enter your product number in the form to view available Warranty plans for your device
- Care Pack Central
- Care Pack Services Definitions
- Care Pack Overview (Scroll down > view / find phone contact number)
- HP Consumer Services (Care Pack and Service Purchase Information) 1-866-724-8600
- South East Pacific - Care Pack Services
- Middle East - Protect your investment with an HP Care Pack
- UK - HP Care Pack services for HP Products
- Canada - Care Pack for PC and Print
- Always verify phone numbers in the HP website information.
- Not your region? Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Flag > change to your region
Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device
Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Open Support Home
Enter the name of your device
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.