Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The power button on the dock provides power to the ZBook, but it doesn't POST.  I have to open the lid of the ZBook, press the power button to turn it off, then turn it on again.  After that, everything will power up normally.  I've updated the BIOS, installed the latest version of the Thunderbolt software, and i believe I updated the firmware on the dock, but I wasn't sure if it was the correct firmware.  Any help would be great.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

make sure you have the 150w or 200w version of the TB 3 dock... the 90w version doesn't have enough power to support the zbook 15 g3 power requirements

next reset the BIOS to defaults to see if that helps

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

230W version.  Reset BIOS settings to default, no change.  I have several other colleagues with the same setup that have the same issue.  This isn't an isolated incident.

HP Recommended

Checking in to see if you ultimately got this resolved?  I have an HP Zbook 15v using this dock and have the same problem.  Haven't been able to find much help regarding this matter.  Even had the Motherboard replaced thinking it may have something to do with the thunderbolt / usb c port.  

HP Recommended

No, never got an answer.  I still power it up by hitting the power button the notebook, not the dock.  I'm living with it.

HP Recommended

After having the motherboard replaced twice, its now finally working as it should.   It powers up with the dock power button now.  If yours is still under warranty, i recommend you do the same.  There was an issue with the USB C port. 

HP Recommended

I have the zbook studio g5 and the thunderbolt 230 W docking station. The docking station works pretty well and it powers the laptop properly, however there is no single response when pushing the power button on the docking station .  I (re) installed the required drivers and software.

Is there a simple solution?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a simple fix for this.  Even after my post above yours, mine started to do it again after a few weeks.  It appears to be an issue with the drivers.  What i have found is that it only does this when the laptop is in sleep mode.  The power button on the dock works to put the laptop to sleep and will wake it if not undocked.  However, if i undock the laptop and dock it back, it will not wake it.  I have to open the lid (which i set to power on when opened) to wake it from sleep.   When the laptop is powered off completed, the power button on the dock works every time to power it on.  That's what leads me to believe it's a driver issue.   Since this appears to have been an issue for a few years for zbooks in general and HP docks, it doesn't seem to be on their priority list or list at all to resolve.  I mean, they replaced my board 2 times to try and fix it instead...     There is a recent firmware released for the dock this past week i haven't done yet, but will do it this week and update this post to let you know if that resolved it for me. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a Zbook X2 and found out how it works. All what you need ist in your Bios the following option:

Wake when AC is Detected--- Enable

On HP Notebooks you found this option under Built-In Device Options

Greetings Raffi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.