Tutor
11 0 1
Message 1 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstat
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3 usb device issues. 

USB Keyboard randomly sends a stream of a repeated character.  I will be typing and mid worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr d will get results like in the word above.  The inverse happens alot too, were it just drops a few characters i have typed.

USB Mouse lag is horrible.

Both devices will stop functioning, need to reboot the dock to recover them.

Any one have any suggestions or which drivers are the most stable?

46 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 2 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

#HPExpertDay

You will have to update BIOS/Firmware if any. Install the docking station drivers. Try using a different keyboard, if the issue stops then issue was with keyboard.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07165

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
KivaL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 3 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

I did all the bios and driver updates to get the dock to work at all.  Used the HP Support assistant to make sure I have the latest softpaqs, but still wonder if one of the older drivers is more stabile. 

I have tried 3 keyboards  and 2 different mice. 

Of course I can just working around this by not using the dock and plugging the keyboard on the laptop directly, but that would defeat the purpose of the company buying me a docking station.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 4 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

#HPExpertDay

You could try using another docking station to isolate the issue. If you observe same behaviour with other docking station then we can dig more into it, else the issue is with docking station.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
KivaL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 5 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

I dont have access to another ZBook 150w thunderbolt 3 docking station.   They are brand new and we have been waiting on back orders is my understanding.    I'll ask around here if there are any spares I can test out, but its very unlikely.

KivaL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 6 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

One more question on the same topic, usb keyboards and mice.  Is there a recommend model of these that might work better with the ZBook Thunderbolt 3 docking station overall ?? 

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
791 34 78
Message 7 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

when you performed the driver updates, was the dock connected to the system?

I recommend the use of HP SDM (Softpaq Download manager - www.hp.com/go/sdm) to update the system. When it runs and downloads the latest catalog,

* select 'check for updates' - if not the default when you run SDM
   * install auto-checkmarked drivers, NOT the BIOS, at this point
   * install any other (ONLY) drivers + Essential System Updates softpaq
   * select BIOS update (if needed) and download, then on the downloaded line in the bottom window, right-click the entry and select Install

* download the thunderbolt firmware softpaq. after download, right-click on the softpaq line at the bottom windows and select install
   * Reboot

BTW, these are the current drivers required for the dock to work with the mobile workstation, and how/where to check on the versions as installed

Component NameSoftpaq #VersionWhere to Verify
BIOSSP754111.04Bios F10 Setup à System Information
Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect DriverSP7478315.3.39.250Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon à Settings à Details.
Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update UtilitySP7493516.1.7.0.6Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon à Settings à Details.  Note that numbers to left will not be directly reflected.
NVM Firmware Version:  16
PD Firmware Version:  1.07.03
Intel Graphics DriverSP7417720.19.15.4331Right click on desktop à Graphics Properties (intel icon) à Options & Support à Information Center.
NVIDIA Graphics DriverSP74313354.61Right click on desktop à NVIDIA control panel à System Information at bottom left.
AMD Graphics DriverSP7570915.201 Rev WRight click on desktop à Graphics Properties (at top) à Information à Software.
ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller DriverSP741641.16.29.1Programs & Features or Device Manager à Universal Serial Bus Controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
Broadcom Ethernet Controller DriverSP7450317.2.0.2Device Manager à Network adaptors (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
Conexant Audio USB DriverSP744921.31.36.13Device Manager à Sound, video and game controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).

NOTE: there could be newer drivers and/or BIOS at any time, so you should always check

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
KivaL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 8 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

I know my bios is 1.06 do I need to downgrade it?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
791 34 78
Message 9 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

THe table lists the minimum driver revs that should help with dock issues... if a newer version comes, that should be used instead

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
KivaL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 10 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt dock

Sorry I did not answer your first question.   The Laptop was NOT connected to the dock when installing the bios, thunderbolt secure connect driver and the thunderbolt firmware update utility, the ASMedia eXtensible host driver and the Broadcom driver. I do remember the instructions stating to update those drivers before connecting to the docking station for the first time. 

The Conexant Audio driver fails on update every time. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation