Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15u G2 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

With Windows 10 1610 I successfully used the fingerprint sensor of my zBook 15u G2 to log in to Windows.

Now I did a clean install of Windows 10 1803 and I cannot get Windows Hello to recognize the fingerprint sensor of the machine.

The sensor is type VID 128a (Synaptics) PID 003f

The installed driver is Ver 4.5.345.0 (SP85489 as per the drivers page for this machine).

In Windows Hello, the driver is recognized, but when I try to register a fingerprint, Windows Hello says "something went wrong".

I have searched far and wide across the web and tried different solutions, but none seem to work for my situation.

Does anyone have an idea how to get this working?

Juding by the recurrence of this very problem in different forums, I do not seem to be alone having this issue.

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My issue does not seem to be related to the Synaptics FP Sensor driver.

I was able to solve the issue as follows:

• Installed HP Client Security Manager
  • Client Security Manager detected a stored fingerprint
  • Deleted the stored fingerprint with Client Security Manager
  • Exited Client Security Manager and uninstalled it
  • Lo and behold, Windows Hello registered my fingerprint without any issues

It seems to me, Windows Hello does not like a stored fingerprint which was not stored by itself, but by another application.

I am surprised that noone at HP support suggested this solution. The problem seems to be encountered frequently by users. I don't know wheter this solution works everytime, but it would be worh a try.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

My issue does not seem to be related to the Synaptics FP Sensor driver.

I was able to solve the issue as follows:

• Installed HP Client Security Manager
  • Client Security Manager detected a stored fingerprint
  • Deleted the stored fingerprint with Client Security Manager
  • Exited Client Security Manager and uninstalled it
  • Lo and behold, Windows Hello registered my fingerprint without any issues

It seems to me, Windows Hello does not like a stored fingerprint which was not stored by itself, but by another application.

I am surprised that noone at HP support suggested this solution. The problem seems to be encountered frequently by users. I don't know wheter this solution works everytime, but it would be worh a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.