6 4 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

zbook 15u G5 slow throughput on NVMe and SDD on USB

HP Recommended
zbook 15u G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a zbook 15u g5 since april this year.

It's equiped with a 256GB PCIe Gen3x4 (NVMe) Z Turbo Drive.

In theory this drive should do speeds over a 1000MB/s

However, when I copy files I see speeds up to 200MB/s and very irregular, sometimes dropping down a couple of MB/s.

I also have a Samsing EVO850 SSD in an USB3 case.

This thing should do 500MB/s read and write.

Again I only see speeds up to 200MB/s when copying files.

Connecting my drive to a G4 Elite book is does deliver the speeds I expected.

This also just sets the overall performance experience: I expected this thing to fly in comparision to my previous G2 zbook.

Also the USB SSD drive only works on the USB port at the right side, on the leftside port it doesn't want to go online.

I just see it appear and disappear over and over again in the devicemanager, while a regular USB drive has problems on this port.

Has this something to with drivers or could this be a real hardware problem ?

Regards,

Martijn

1 REPLY 1
logiweb
6 4 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue with a Zbook 15u G4: replaced the original internal NVMe SSD with a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB and nothing got better. Same problems with the original one: i think it's an issue with the Samsung SSDs. I even installed the NVMe driver from the Samsung site and nothing improved.

Plus, i am facing a serious problem with overheating: when connected to the HP UltraSlim Docking Station 2013 the internal temperature reaches fastly 60/70 degrees and the Samsung SSD about 60. Replaced the thermal paste and even there nothing was improved. HP should engineer better its products: how could you made a laptop that has the air holes in the bottom perfectly matching with the plastic surface of the docking station? Didn't they realize that the hot air cannot escape from the inside nor the fresh one enter into it?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation