LyWang
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

zbook 17 g3 cannot power on by AC adapter but with light ON

HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my zbook 17 g3 immediately after it came out and I found the battery got overheat and I removed it.

So, I had been using my zbook only on AC adapter for like 1-2yrs.

Now, after half of year not using it, I found I cannot turn on the zbook at all. 

I wonder why. My first guess is something about battery, I don't know but that's the only part differs from the default configuration. So I bought an original battery online (or not original, whatever), I put it into zbook, and

IT WORKS.

I was happy to see my zbook come back but not until I found when I plug the AC adapter, battery is not charging.

OK, some battery problem maybe. But to the fact that the battery CAN TURN ON the computer, I guess no.

I looked at the AC light near the AC plug on my computer and notice it worked perfectly. When I plug in, I see solid white

light indicates power is detected. 

OK, I will do some reset process then. So I do serveral, like reset BIOS, remove battery serveral times, holding power button without battery for a min and etc., I do all of them, nothing changed.

Before my zbook is totally DEAD, I put some test in its BIOS and it CANNOT detect the AC power.

BUT the LAMP is ON!

OK, so I came here and only to ask one thing:

should I buy a new AC adapter or not?

The cost to repair some motherboard problem(I moved to Japan from USA last year) is crazily high. 

So if you guys think IT IS a motherboard problem, I choose to ignore my bulky trash totally.

If a problem in AC adapter could cause LAMP ON but NO POWER, I may still have a hope.

PS: If pay attention and hear closely to the AC adapter, I can hear the sound CHANGE when I plug in it. 

but, it does not have any heatness. 😞

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation