Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook Create G7
Linux

Hello all,

I am encountering a troublesome bug on my zbook create g7. There's a flicker (seems to be a single frame) that occurs once in a while (sometimes every other second, sometimes minutes go by). I have tried to capture the moment and it seems like the whole window is drawn in (more or less) the top half of the screen (so it's squashed vertically).

This issue occurs in multiple distros (Arch / Ubuntu / Manjaro), using various drivers (Nouveau / Nvidia), in the terminal (when booting) or when X is loaded. When booting Windows I am not seeing any issues, leading me to believe this is a kernel issue. I have tried disabling the GPU in Windows to force igpu usage / flickering, but that had no effect. 

It would already be helpful if this bug can be confirmed by other users of a Create G7. It can be easily reproduced by booting the latest Ubuntu live ISO and using it for a couple of minutes (at least in my case, I am seeing a flicker occur relatively quickly). Of course, if someone has a solution for this, that would be swell.

Best regards

p.s.:

- this is crossposted at arch linux forums as well

[content removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It appears my issue is not restricted to my device (see thread on linuxquestions.org). Could this issue be related to  a specific batch of the 1080p panel on the Create G7? This device was sold preloaded with Ubuntu on it, so I guess the flicker issue could not be present on all the devices?

How can I proceed debugging this issue, or trying to figure out what kind solution is available?

To reiterate the info in the LQ thread, my panel info can be found here:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier ""
ModelName ""
VendorName "CMN"
# Monitor Manufactured week 38 of 2019
# EDID version 1.4
# Digital Display
DisplaySize 340 190
Gamma 2.20
Option "DPMS" "false"
Modeline "Mode 0" 152.84 1920 1968 2000 2250 1080 1083 1088 1132 +hsync -vsync
Modeline "Mode 1" 101.89 1920 1968 2000 2250 1080 1083 1088 1132 +hsync -vsync
EndSection

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.