Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi all. need help here. I cant figure out if the dock is fault or the zbook is faulty, or it's a setting somewhere.

I have gone thru the process of updating all the drivers from HP site. and have tried updating the TB3 dock. 

synaptics display port adapter 3.12.000=ok

conexant audio 1.03=ok

ASMedia ASM1042A=FAIL

ASMedia ASM1074 140415.03.00.00=ok

intel TB3 dock firmware 18.0.3.0.1=ok

all managed to update fine. except for 

ASMedia ASM1042A. old ( 131025.10.11.17) 

unable to update to  new(131025.10.11.26) 

does anyone knows if it has got to do with the display port. 

is it a USB-C to displayport internally?

reason I am asking is because I am unable to get the displayport on the dock to work.

swapped cables.

boot with the zbook lid closed.

latest nvidia quadro from nvidia.com (386.01)

ASM1042A failed with the message

----------------------------

Your Host Device [0]SSID SVID is not matched [8190-103C]

[1142-1b21], firmware Upgrade failed!!!

----------------------------

i tried with both 2 different docks and both had the same results.

yeah 1 laptop 2 docks, 1 in the office and 1 at home.  

i tried with HP v16 TB3 firmware with no joy..

currently using v17.2.71.250 from intel website directly 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I tested with a few other zbook. I found out the problem there is a bug with m2200 nvidia firmware. it cant diplay properly to dell 2713H monitor properly if it was set at DP1.2. 

but if the monitor was set to DP1.1a then the connectivity goes away. 

so I guess m2200 has got a bug with DP1.2

the other zbooks STUDIO and 17 dont have this problem. 

HP Recommended

purezerg,

Thank you for posting this. Wanted your opinion on the TB3 dock for zBook ... I procured a zBook studio G3 recently and am itching to get the TB3 dock. I'm dragging my feet because I read so much negative feedback on  different websites but after reading your two posts in this thread it seems like you are having a good experience up until this last episode.

I am thinking of getting the 200w version instead of the 150w version since I also read that the only difference is the power adapter that comes with the dock.

What is your opinion on the dock in general since you have two - work & home? I was even thinking of getting a non-HP dock ... do you recommend the HP dock or non-HP if you were to do this again?

Thank you!

Takosan

HP Recommended

I am surprised you asked about other docks. yeah I have got 2 different docks

OWC TB3 and hp TB3

HP TB3 dock. so far only nvidia m2200 has got a problem with it. I havent isolate if it's just mine m2200 or all m2200.

but so far m2000, m1000, and m1200 doesnt have a problem with it. unfortunately P5000 is in a zbook 17 G2 to do a test.

not sure if it's just my HP TB3 that have been defective but both HP TB3 dock, the ASmedia 1042A firmware had trouble updating. that said, I got my dock REALLY cheap. approx  USD70 without the power adapter. cable and dock only. they aint brand new but second hand units.

my OWC i got it for USD$355. i got them from taobao dot com.

as for the HP zbook TB3, only 1 USB port supports high amp 2.8A max

the other 3, once you exceed 1.5a it just trips. I have a USB A and C load meter tester, so it seems the other 3 just barely meets BC1.2

unlike OWC, all the USB ports can pull max of 3a each. I didnt test load test all at the same time. got only 1 power meter.

but I got the OWC is due to firewire800. meant to connect to PhaseOne cameras. 

HP Recommended

If you had to do it again - OWC or HP dock - which will you get?

HP Recommended

unless the HP dock has got firewire800, i still have to get both.

OWC dislikes is the fact that I need to carry ANOTHER power adaptor for it, the SD card reader is slower than any G3/G4 zbook SD reader

HP's main advantage is that the cable is a 2 in one. alot stronger for daily abuse of plugging, hence no fear that the TB3 cable or the port being damage over time. 

HP Recommended

Thank you! I just ordered the 200w version for my zbook studio g3. I just hope that whatever the combo of components are in my stuido g3, the firmware/driver/dock/zbook will live happily ever after!

HP Recommended

you really dont need 200w. 

studio hardly pulls much. 45w CPU full load + GPU 45w + screen 30w at full brightness?

my power adapter hardly warm unlike zbook 17 G2 200w. at idle is always warm. but when churning, the power adapter can be uncomfortably warm. 

HP Recommended

150w was out of stock & the 200w  was backordered to be filled in 3 - 5 biz days so went for the latter (thought extra wattage won't be bad if hanging power-hungry USB/TB3 devices off dock? It was also a delta of ~$20 so all things considered, I just sprang for it.

HP Recommended

Similar problem here. HP Elite 90W Thunderbolt 3 Dock but on HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX.  Of the 5 updates found in the sp79343 update, AS Media ASM1074 Firmware reports "tool failed" and 4 other updates were successful. Any one have any suggewtions/ideas how to resolve?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.