Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
XW8600 motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm new here so hope this is in the right place!  I am building an XW6800 based system. I have 2-X5460's, 2-double tall CPU coolers and a HP Performance 1050w PS so far. I plan on using the BSEL mod(s) on the X5460's to get to 3.7Ghz (both existing, matched CPU's have gone to 3.9Ghz  individually on an ASUS P5Q-E MoBo). My question is this; I can get 64GB (8x8GB) of DDR2 PC2-5300F 667Mhz FBDIMM's for under $50 USD, but will they work with the 1333 CPU's @ 1600 FSB with the BSEL mod's on the XW8600 MOBO?

Please advise as available info (that I can find) is confusing!

Thank you in advance for any and all help and or advice you can give me.

First PC was a "Trash 80", second was a Dell P90 and Win 3.11 For Work Groups was "awsome" back then 😉

Regards,

Jay F. (74 Yrs young!)

Jacques P. Fontaine
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

yes, the xw8600 did support 1600 FSB based cpu's and it is possible to  mask off two pads on the 1333 based cpu's to force them to use 1600 FSB (see HP quick specs)

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c04154415.pdf

please note that doing so will most likely require a cpu volyage increase in higher mhz cpu models

i did this mod on my xw8600 using two dual core 52xx cpu's and had to try three diffrent cpu sets till i found on that ran overclocked at (3.8mhz as i recall) using the default cpu voltages

you will need the double tall HP performance heatsinks, or the mac pro heatsink can be adapted to the 8600

HP Recommended

I do have another question,

What is the newest video card (with the most VRAM) that this system will support.? I do a lot of digital art, photo editing and 

will be doing some 4K video rendering (not to intense) and editing. Clips may be up to 20min. long. Either AMD or Nvidia although it seems you get more bang for your buck with AMD VRAM wise?

Regards,

Jay F.

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

Just a quick up-date as to my video card search. It seams the the Sapphire Toxic HD 7970 6GB  VRAM card does NOT require the UEFI BIOS of newer motherboards! Could this be a "solution"? What are your thoughts on this? If not, I understand that the GTX 780 OC with 3GB VRAM does quite well on the XW8600?

Sorry for so many posts and questions, just trying to get my "Ducks In A Row"!

Regards,

Jay F.

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

I am now ready to start assembly of my XW8600 system. I found pics as to which pins on the CPU's to mask off to force 1600 FSB. I also found charts that seem to indicate where to tape and where circuit writer pen connecting of pins is required to raise voltage. However they are very confusing. Are there any pics to show what is required for what voltages?

I am using dual X5460 's which I have run both in my P5Q-E at 400 FSB , 3.8 GHZ stable with no problems other than adding a Gammaxx G400 CPU cooler and increasing the voltage some what on both (1.28+).

I do have 2 new HP Performance double tall coolers, 64GB DDR2 PC2-5300F FBDIMMS, original HP 1050 PS, Sapphire R9 390  8GB video card with Legacy/UEFI switch and a an older high end PCI sound card.

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Regards to all,

Pierre1945

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

Have run this HP generation as the xw6600 and the xw8600 with Quadro K2000 and K2000D, and K2200 cards.

The memory controller on this "step up" from the xw6400 and xw8400 is different in that it can run some different memory than the next earlier generation.

I have never done those processor mods but sounds like there is some risk involved.  Your initial and most recent posts mention xw6800... but I think you mean the xw8600.

If you look at the top HP xw8600 QuickSpecs google result, version 18, on page 4 you can see that the three top quad core processors (X5492, X5482, X5472) each can run 1600MHz FSB without modifications.  How much are those on eBay today?

You'd want the latest sSpec code for those, of course, which would be SLBBD (E0 stepping), SLBBG (E0 stepping), and SLBBB (also E0 stepping), respectively).  The slower two had an older C0 stepping.  There was no C0 stepping for the fastest.

So, what if one splurged and got the very latest and fastest quad core processor HP ever certified for the xw8600, the X5492/SLBBD,  on eBay?  Those cost $1493.00 USD each on release.  Cost is right at $70.00 each today from trusted US eBay sellers, shipping included.  I'd look closely at that versus the mods you mention with their potential risk to your current hardware.  Either way you'll need that 1600 MHz memory to match. 

We're running 4 monitors some of this generation of HP workstations.... two Quadro K2000s work well, but I favor running the main/boot monitors from a K2200 and the two lower priority monitors from a K2000.

Realize that you're several generations back on hardware, and here's some perspective:  Running dual X5492 processors would get you an average Passmark CPU score of 8682.  Running a single processor version 2 Z420 built with a  E5-1660 v2 processor would get an average Passmark CPU score of 13830, and all its subsystems would be running at a balanced very fast speed to match.

The xw8600 still is a very fine workstation for the right user.... keep us posted, and good luck on your project!

HP Recommended

The primary usage will be development of digital fine art using the Wacom Cintiq 32" 4K pen tablet monitor and some light 4K video development using Da Vinci Resolve. We will be using an LG 49" 4K UHD Nano Cell TV as a monitor (all of our work will be seen on private IPTV , youtube, Amazon, Netfilx  and Sling  TV streaming channels so we need to be able to see exactly what the end user will be viewing).

I think even though it is "old" I feel that, at least for now, it has enough "horsepower" to get the job done.

Regards,

Jay F

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

OBTW, if the "technology seems a little "lop-sided" (old Vs New) TV and Cintiq donated by investors, and I have only $146.00 invested in XW8600 MoBo, CPU's, CPU coolers, 64GB RAM, had a SuperMicro 750SC tower I had in basement, don't remember where I got power supply, R9 390 was from a swap!

I believe in using older equipment when possible to stay "green",  and also I am 74 and on a fixed income so price Vs "technology" is a key factor for me (besides I get some satisfaction from making old stuff work!).

Regards to all!

Jay F.

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

OK, "RTFM" (with egg on face) Just figured out how to use diagrams of X5460 pin mods! 

As we progress we will keep all informed, will start basic assembly and testing within the next

few days.

TNX to all!

Regards,

Jay F.

WIsconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.