Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
socket 775 motherboard 380689-

I have a pair of xeon x5460's and have an interest in the 

Original OEM HP Workstation XW6400 Dual Socket 775 Motherboard 380689-003

given that the processors are for an lga 771 motherboard I am wondering if with the mod stickers i purchased to be able to put them on a 775 it will work with this board. I havent been able to come up with research as to thier compatibility.  Someone please help me with this.. Thanks in advance guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Dude you are the best! Saved me much time and guided me to all the questions i didnt even know I had. Cant wait to finish my rig!! Thanks again you rock!!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You will benefit from using this forum's search bar above on the left..... searches there will probe this forum only, which is valuable.  Short answer..... those will not work in the xw6400, xw8400, xw6600, but they will work in the xw8600.

Read up on the fact that the processor needs to be approved for use by HP, in their QuickSpecs document.  You'll find those processors listed only for the xw8600.

Also read up on the concept of "Performance" heatsinks, and that if the motherboard sees a 120W or higher processor (yours are) it wants a Performance fan, and knows if one is present.

And, read up on my info on how to spoof the motherboard to think it has one of the double tall double fan Performance heatsinks for the xw8600.... you can do that, but don't overdo it.

I personally would advise getting a used xw6600 off eBay, and put in two E5450 processors (which run cooler and almost as fast, and don't need Performance heatsinks).  That is what I do......

Oh, and read on how to get the latest sSpec code version of whatever processor you choose to use.

HP Recommended
Dude you are the best! Saved me much time and guided me to all the questions i didnt even know I had. Cant wait to finish my rig!! Thanks again you rock!!!!
HP Recommended

Good afternoon, I have been fortunate enough to get my hands on an xw8600 which from my understanding is a s775 motherboard. I was able to get high performance heatsinks gammaxx300  and although are not the oem , I have modded the heatsink clamps so that the fit the mobo. Thanks again for all the prior info but I have just one more question if I may.. Since the x5460's i bought are from a 771 mobo , do I still need to apply the mod stickers to run them on the board or are they just plug and play with this mother board.  I did take what you said into consideration about getting the 5450 and the xw6600 but since i had already purchased the 5460's i tried getting a good deal on the mobo which luckily came through. Thanks again in helping me get through this journey.

HP Recommended

Please don't double post..... see my answer to your other post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.