jekemi
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

6 pin mail GPU splitter to EVGA GTX 660ti card with two 6 pin power connectors

HP Recommended
HP z400 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed a EVGA GTX 660ti graphics card on my HP z400 workstation. I'm running an Intel  x5680 6 core processor and have 24 GB RAM installed. This graphics card inserts without issue but it has 2 6 pin femail GPU power connectors. When I try to run it with the one GPU connector from the HP power supply it says "please connect power cable to graphics card." Can I use a splitter, 6 pin femail connector at one end that splits to two 6 pin male connectors? This would split the power from the power supply to the two 6 pin connectors on the card. Will that work?

David J Stiles
1 REPLY 1
BambiBoomZ
Level 7
715 687 45 192
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

David Stiles,

The NVIDIA specification for the GTX 660 Ti requires a minimum 450W power supply, so the z400 475W PSU is sufficient.

A 1X to 2X 6-pin splitter may actually work- I used a Quadro K4200 4GB requiring a  450W power supply in a Dell Precision 390 with a 375W PSU, but a better solution would be to connect using a 4-pin Molex  to 1X 6-pin PCIe power adapter. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Molex-Male-to-6-Pin-PCI-Express-PCIE-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-Cord-...

I use a GTX 660 Ti in a z420 (E5-1620 v2), running a 40" 4K monitor and for 3D CAD it works very well.  So much of 3D CAD is CPU single-thread reliant anyway and I don't run GPU rendering.  I thought the 660 Ti (cost $45) would be temporary and I'd change it for a GTX 970, but it's not necessary. The cost performance of the GTX 660 Ti is excellent as is that of the GTX 770 and 970.-

BambiBoomZ

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation