Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8200 Elite CMD

Hi.

I have an 8200 Elite CMT machine that I accidentally disabled the EFI BIOS on. The result is that the computer no longer starts properly. The right green indicator lamp lights up, but the left one doesn't. The keyboard has power but the indicator lights don't light up, no screen (black), no beeps. After a few minutes, the fan(s) start up and remain at a high level. Since the keyboard is dead, no input ESC or F10 possible. I reduced the RAM to one with no improvement. Unfortunately I didn't save the settings, but I did take photos of the settings that I changed. Replaced and reinstalled backup battery with no success. I also removed the graphics card and connected the monitor to the standard VGA connection, but that didn't solve the problem either.

I know that was anything but brilliant, do you have a tip on how I can get out of my misery? Is it possible to restore the BIOS in such a situation, reload it?

Configuration:
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 2GB
USB: USB3
Graphics: HP GeForce GT 630 2GB RAM

PS: The website has an error, it is not possible to set the correct 'board'. I ask the admin to move my post to the right place, thanks.

Hallo.

Ich habe einen 8200 Elite CMD Rechner im Einsatz, bei dem ich versehentlich das EFI-BIOS deaktiviert habe. Die Folge ist nun, dass der Rechner nicht mehr richtig startet. Die rechte grüne Kontrollleuchte leuchtet zwar, die linke aber nicht. Die Tastatur hat Strom, doch die Kontrollleuchten leuchten nicht auf, kein Bildschirm (schwarz), keine Pipstöne. Nach wenigen Minuten fährt der/die Lüfter hoch und verbleiben auf hohem Niveau. Da die Tastetur tot ist, auch keine Eingabe ESC oder F10 möglich. Die RAM habe ich auf einen reduziert, mit keiner Verbesserung. Leider habe ich die Einstallungen nicht gesichert, abe aber Fotos der Einstllungen die ich geändert habe. Die Stützbatterie ausgetauscht und wieder eingebaut, ohne Erfolg. Die Grafikkarte habe ich auch ausgebaut, den Monitor am Standard VGA-Anschluss angeschlossen, ergab aber auch keine Lösung.

Ich weiss, das war alles andere als genial, habt Ihr einen Tip, wie ich aus der Misere komme?

Kann man das BIOS in einer solchen Situation wieder herstellen, neu aufspielen?

Konfiguration:

RAM: 16GB

SSD: 2 GB

USB: USB3

Grafik:  HP GeForce GT 630 2GB RAM

PS: Die Webseite hat ein Fehler, es lässt sich nicht das korrekte 'Board' einstellen. Ich bitte den Admin, mein Posting an das richtige Ort zu verschieben, Danke.

20221226_171643.jpg

20221226_172911.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I don't speak German but do have Google translate. I think you have an error in your computer's description. I think you meant CMT rather than CMD. The Elite 8200 MT/CMT/SFF used the same motherboard, so this answer will apply to all those versions.

CMT means Convertible MiniTower, rather than MiniTower or Small Form Factor. If you can get into BIOS then just set your BIOS to factory default settings. Save that change on the way out of BIOS, which is an offered option, Shut down, Cold boot restart.

You should be able to function now...

HP Recommended

Hey @raetus-stocker 

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We advise you to post your question in English to insure a quick response for the Community.This can also help other users to take advantage of your post, in the case they have the same question.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Ric_Ob

I work on behalf of HP. Our job as moderator is to monitor all traffic on the community.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the forum used to be in German, now it's only in English. I only speak very bad English.

But thanks to Goggle, that's no longer a problem. I am therefore changing my conversation to English.

Yes, of course you are right, it is the CMT model, not CMD.

As mentioned in the post, I have the problem that I can't get any reaction from the screen and probably not from the keyboard either. I think the screen and keyboard should be usable, or is there a trick?

In the meantime, I have removed all unnecessary add-ons, such as interface cards, hard drives and SSDs, I have also reduced and replaced the RAM, all without success.

Anyone have any ideas how to get out of this mess?

HP Recommended

Welcome... I speak some French, but that is because in high school I heard it was a "romance language". Did not work.

If your USB interface has become corrupted this may explain why your keyboard (and thus your monitor) may not respond. I have seen this, rarely, and the fix was to use the PS2 interfaces on the backplane and use a HP PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard.  If those are not handy an alternative approach is to fully clear the CMOS firmware by removing the motherboard battery, unplug from wall and any device that could feed back power to the motherboard. Press the CMOS reset button for 30 seconds then, wait an hour, press that button again for 30 seconds, replace the motherboard battery, plug in, hope for the best. If you do this low level clear of CMOS firmware settings the end result will be the factory default settings.

That hopefully will get you going again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback.

I still had an old PS keyboard and PS mouse, but that shouldn't be the problem.

I followed your advice, switched off completely, removed all connections (except screen, PS keyboard and PS mouse), removed BIOS battery, pressed CMOS for 30 seconds, waited 4 hours, pressed again for 30 seconds, checked battery (has 3.0 V), correctly installed, power reconnected. Result, as before, screen, keyboard is dead, fan starts and after about 3 minutes the fans start up and stay up.

Try again, removed RAM and restarted. The same result, but beeps and the left LED lights up in rhythm with the beeps. RAM reinstalled.

Try again as at the beginning, with removing the battery and pressing the CMOS switch twice, gives the same result.

I think the BIOS died with the calculator.

The computer is now only used as a spare parts store, as luckily I have a second HP dc8200 Elite.

Thank you all for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.