Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Morning all,

Recently had a bit of an issue with a Z2 G4 - every time it boots, it gives me error 901, relating to a front chassis fan not being plugged in or malfunctioning. This is true, as the machine did not ship with a front chassis fan. Is there anything I can do to disable this error or remedy it, without doing the obvious of installing a fan?

Cheers

Sam

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

did you add ram or a any other hardware? i'm taking a guess that since you mention the front fan you have the tower version and not the SFF model some of the hp workstations will trigger this message if you add hardware or change installed hardware such as a video card to a different higher wattage card

did you change any bios settings?

HP Recommended

Hiya,

Yeah, it's had a Quadro P4000 added to it after market.

No BIOS changes were made but the BIOS was updated

HP Recommended

ahhhhhh,....as i thought!! the workstation monitors the temperature in several zones using onboard sensors and adding a video card can raise the temps to where the sensor kicks a alert

to test this theory, remove the card and install the original video card and if no change in fan msg double check that you have not moved a existing cable/connector to where it possibly is not making a good connection

HP Recommended

Yeah it didn't do it with the card installed, but that's part of the problem - the card needs to be in the machine as it's been spec'd as a CAD machine.. Is there no way to get around it with the card installed?

HP Recommended

lets see you have a computer that costs over 1000.00 and a video card that costs over 500.00 and you don't want to protect that investment with the less than 40.00 HP front fan kit

feel free to ignore the  fan warning,........ it's not like HP thinks something bad will happen, they obviously just want to make 40.00 more dollars (NOT!!!)

common,....your specing out a cad system to hopefully make money not crash due to poor thermals....order the fan kit

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1464639-REG/hp_4ky82aa_hp_z2g4_twr_front.html

HP Recommended

I can sense some salt in that reply, so I'll ignore it and give you this;

If it's a £1000 system, surely it should come with an extra fan, in order to elude this issue, and not just be an extra £40 in the pocket of HP for no reason other than sales :^)

We've got customers who use these PC's for  huge 3D CAD drawings and they dont crash due to poor thermals, because they're power efficient machines. It doesn't come down to a matter of overheating when they crash, because they don't heat up.

HP Recommended

as to you comment that the system should come with all options (to suite you) as a stock item, i and all of the other uses who spec out a system (that meets our need not yours) which does not require the fan kit (or any other options) would rather not pay for things we don't need

Business that i have worked for usually value a stable system that makes them money vs a system that crashes at random and loses money.......  my recommendation to you is the same as before, treat you customers right,... order the fan kit since HP thinks it's necessary with your specific build. In the long run you and your customer will benefit from selling a system configuration that HP does recommend and warranty vs one that is not a recommended HP configuration

HP Recommended

A Z2 G4  model supplied by HP with a P4000 would have come with a front fan. P2000 would not. If the unit was supplied that way, it was a problem created by the seller.

Did they supply a unit without GPU and then supply a GPU as a separate item? Was it a lesser unit upgraded with a more powerful GPU?

The same situation exists with the Z4 G4.

HP Recommended

Hiya,

Yeah that's correct. P4000 was fitted after the fact but in the same order

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.