Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I own a Z420 and I have a Xeon E5-1680V2 I want to replace but I want to have the right tool and T15 to remove the E5-1520v2.  Can anyone recommend one that I can get on Amazon? Nothing too expensive.

Above The Firehouse
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Tony_atfpodcast,

To replace the CPU, the processor, the T15 is the proper tool, but a reasonably thick bladed straight-slotted screwdriver ( such that the blade doesn't mark or dent the screw slot) will also work. I've changed processors on 5X Z-series WS always with an appropriately-sized screwdriver. The shank needs to be long enough that it's easy to turn the screwdriver without interference. Regardless of the tool used, remember to loosen and on replacement re-tighten the screws in a diagonal pattern very gradually so the cooler is always kept level.

BambiboomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB (HP/Samsung 8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / Quadro P2000 5GB _ GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB + HP/HGST Enterprise 6TB / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound interface + 2X Mackie MR824 / 825W PSU / Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit (HP OEM) > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)

[ Passmark Rating = 6280 / CPU rating = 17178 / 2D = 819 / 3D= 12629 / Mem = 3002 / Disk = 13751 / Single Thread Mark = 2368 [10.23.18]

HP z420_3: (2015) (R11) Xeon E5-1650 v2 (6C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid cooling / 32GB (HP/Samsung 4X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/ Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + HGST 4TB / ASUS Essence STX + Logitech z2300 2.1 / 600W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (HP OEM ) > Samsung 40" 4K

[Passmark System Rating: = 5644 / CPU = 15293 / 2D = 847 / 3D = 10953 / Mem = 2997 Disk = 4858 /Single Thread Mark = 2384 [6.27.19]

HP Recommended

This is the one I use.... Made in Germany, excellent US source:  The 9" length is handy... the link is  HERE .

https://www.mcmaster.com/6963A22/

I like the Noctua thermal paste, nonconductive, HT-H1.  They came out with a newer NT-H2 that has a little bit more thermal conductivity but I have found it does not spread as well on the stainless steel heat spreaders atop the processors we install.  So, gave up on it after two tries and went back to the HT-H1, happily.  Brian uses a different compound, which he reports is excellent.  It is posted about in the forum here.

HP Recommended

Take your pick;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=T15+torx+screwdriver&i=instant-video&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

(Just search for T15 Torx Screwdriver  on Amazon).

I use the Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly paste mounting the CPU.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-compound-compounds/dp/B00ZJSF5LM/ref=asc_df_B00ZJS...

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Thank you all I do have thermal grizzly but I needed a tool kit as well. Will look at some of your suggestions that showed hardware links.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

I'll look into that but was looking for a tool kit for everything since I'm gonna get a Z440 and build it up and later z8x series recycled as I can afford the parts.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

Tony_atfpodcast,

The idea of a comprehensive tool kit is a good idea. The BambiBoomZ dictum as regards projects is: "Every project requires every tool available- plus one."  I found too late over various projects I needed: fine tweezers with a bent end, a particularTorx socket, precision screwdriver, very fine needle nose pliers, a magnifying glass, wire stripper, and more. It's not easy to anticipate every tool required and of course very frustrating when the project stops.

Here is is one of the more complex computer maintenance situations; exchanging all the internal parts between z620_2 and z420_3:

z620_2 + z420_3_ components transfer_P1050680.JPG

Which did not require a lot of tools, but the fine-end needle nose pliers and fine bent end tweezers were essential and are probably not usual in the average garage.

Consider a search for "computer pc tool kit".  This will yield quite a few results: "About 437,000,000" just now. To narrow the choices down, Amazon, Microcenter, and Newegg will present the general range.  The categories might be divided to with or without pliers. A couple of finer end pliers are essential. 

Without a lot of looking around, one: "Fellowes 55-Piece Computer Tool Kit" (under $50) seemed a quite good assortment and reasonably priced. This included essentials including: precision screwdrivers, various slotted and Philips sizes, sockets, a variety of Torx, pliers, diagonal cutter, wire stripper, and etc.  If all these items were assembled gradually, it would cost much more, for example, the pliers in the upper left of the photo above cost $17 on it's own, the set of 15 precision screwdrivers were about $60, and several individual Torx drivers about $40. 

A comprehensive set is less expensive and reduces the risk of not having the proper tool when needed. I mention the set above without a close analysis and can see where some circumstances may or may not be covered, e.g., there is cooler mounting hardware that needs a slim and tall driver that a short and larger diameter socket/driver might not accommodate. 

Other Tools: I'd also suggest having a good, small LED flashlight that can set inside the case while working. Also one or two inexpensive hardware store,  (~$10) clamp-on worklights- see left center above and these can clamp onto the edge of the desk and illuminate the work. As is the case for so many tools, these can be used all over, and here includes checking the oil in the car and tuning a harpsichord. Something I find useful and very affordable are old, stiff business cards and cut in half credit cards- perfect to have an even, very thin spread of thermal paste on the CPU and CPU cooler contact plate. A couple of other items to have on hand is a clipboard on hand to make notes on, and two or three small clear plastic boxes for screws and parts, plus a few dollar store microfiber shop towels.

As mentioned, the same tools are useful for a lot of other household tasks. Here's a non- computer project using the same tools as computer work that, by the way, would have been very much easier with notes on the wiring and boxes for parts and hardware:

Saeco Aroma_Apart_9.6.18.jpg

Actually, in my view, having a reliable espresso supply is an essential computer maintenance task.

A carefully chosen set will solve most situations and be useful for years.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I second that, and ... gear envy!

HP Recommended

I have searched but I don't know what is the industry standard. So I tried here. 😉

Above The Firehouse
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.