boskab
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

AMD Firepro on Z240?

HP Recommended
Z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After fatal breakdown of my 2012 Z220, I recently purchused a Z240 workstation (BY3Y83EA09) with the on-board Intel HD Graphics 630. Using it with 3D CAD Solid Edge. I did not order any grapic cards (budget) thinking; should the HDG 630 not be sufficient for my needs I'd just insert the AMD Firepro V4900 which was in my Z220. 
So now, after running into graphic issues I inserted the V4900 resulting in the system not starting anymore, just bleeps and blinks.

So, what's wrong? Not compatible? Power issues? Other?

Note; I'm to be considered a IT noob, so lay it on me gentle 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this should be your model computers specs:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04762288.pdf?ver=1

acording to the system spec you require a small form factor card

also the cards hp lists do not have/use a power connector on the video card

most of the firepro v4900 video cards i have seen also lack a aux power connector, so you seem to be good in the power draw department  (IE- the card draws less than 75 watts)

with the video card removed, go into the computers bios, you should see a video feature that says use onboard/external

video card, and change to to external/PCI-E save and power down and insert the video card into the  topmost x16 pci-e slot and then connect the video cable to the card's video connector and power on

you should see the boot screen on the monitor, and then windows loads if so wait till the generic ms video driver loads then visit the AMD site and download the latest v4900 firepro driver 

0 Kudos
boskab
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually I've got the tower version, this is the specs I think;

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04760707.pdf

But thanks a lot!

Earlier I already determined the card fysically fits, my biggest concern was power draw. 75W draw on the systems 400W supply (I think) isn't that big of a deal then?

I'll try the installation sequence as suggested later today and will post the results, thanks!

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this should be the latest spec sheet:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04887696

0 Kudos
boskab
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, update;

- tried to find the 'switch off onboard graphics' option in BIOS; not found.

- browsed the www after googling 'graphic card install beeping' and found several treads refering to 'secure boot' vs 'legacy boot' as the cause of this kind of problems

- looked in BIOS for an option like this, found it and switched to 'secure' disabled, 'legacy' enabled.

- placed graphics card again, switched monitor cables to this and fired up the system agein.

- after booting (without beeps), installed the latest drivers and we're up and running!

Thanks for the support guys!

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ahaaaaa,.. your system bios is configured for UEFI mode (video) as the bios default instead of Legacy mode

and a quick check shows that your firepro card is legacy only for it's video bios due to it's age

most new video cards have a legacy/UEFI capable bios, and new computers are just starting to transition away from legacy bios as the default and some OEM systems (like this HP model) that come only with vender tested video cards may not even have the dual legacy/UEFI video bios that current retail cards still have

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation