Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I 've just finsished a repair on HP Z800 (on sata socket)that seems to be working.

About the Adaptic 71605 Controller 2274400-R 

I want to run bigger disks, much bigger disks.   None in boot capacity as a zfs server is fine with about 250 GB disks (mirrored pair) for the OS.

I noticed a few people commenting that they were able to run 6 and even 10 TB disk on HP Z800  and sure enough the bios doesn't recognize the correct size but the OS sees it fine  showing something like 7.30 TB on an 8tb disk.

Adaptic Card on Amazon 

However, there is a problem.  The disk spins up and stays spinning from now on at what sounds like quite a high speed.  I know this isn't normal and can't be good like that for long..  Someone mentioned the that card months ago as being a good card for big disks.   Its a raid card I guess but I don't use regular raid, only raidz[2 or 3]  If not mirrored pairs. Oh, and in case someone thinks of it, the 8TB disk is NOT on the socket I semi-repaired 

I'm really not sure what that would mean with this card.  If it makes the machine see and handle big disks that would be great.

I'm afraid the high speed spinning is something ... er ... else.

I want to make sure its likely to be the right thing to stop the high speed wear on this new 8tb disk.  The disk alone costs some  $220  plus  And the Adaptic I looked at on Amazon is  $230 plus .

Hoping some old HP hand will have a look and let us know if this card is the right one.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

while the adaptec 71605 is  overkill speed wise on a z800 it has something the previous gen 6805 is missing,.. namely the ability to do true JBOD

the 71605 can have both JBOD and Raid active at the same time!! the JBOD disks can be removed from the 71605 and connected directly to any sata controller and be accessed

the 71605 bios will see the correct drive capacity, also make sure you disable the z800 onboard lsi bios and device from the z800 bios and do not connect anything to the onboard LSI SAS/SATA ports

reset the adaptec card's bios to defaults, for your current usage the defaults are fine

most modern sata drives have firmware that will cause them to spin down if no access in a specified time however the adaptec card defaults should override this as you don't want a raid array or drives in a array to spin down

7200/10,000 rpm drives will whine and make noise, this is normal

last,..... SAS drives are currently being dumped on ebay, 120.00 for a 10TB drive is a very good deal

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

[...]

most modern sata drives have firmware that will cause them to spin down if no access in a specified time however the adaptec card defaults should override this as you don't want a raid array or drives in a array to spin down

7200/10,000 rpm drives will whine and make noise, this is normal.

First off, thank you for the great tips and lending your experience on this.

About the spinning:  I have 2 other sata  and one sas drive on the same Z800 where I am testing with the 8TB  (also sata)

So that spin down you mention might explain it, but then the 8tb is also sata so why does it act different? They were all nearly silent except the 8tb.  I thought It would stop after while, it does not.

By the way the 8TB is a new disk, not refurbished if that matters at all.

I still have the right side panel off the Tower,  so I can put my finger tip on the sata socket that feeds each drive shelf. When I press on the one with the 8tb drv, I can seriously feel quite a vibration... I mean its enough that the whole table I work on (One of those cheapo plastic banquet tables [6 ft long.]) Is buzzing with it. I don't mean to the point where I'm terrified it will self destruct and take everything down, including me, with it...  But I can feel it throughout the table and a bit even in the floor.

I tried it in 3 different shelves .... Behaved the same in each.   I haven't heard/felt a vibration like it in my old defunct xw8600, nor my working xw8600  Nor from any other disk in the Z800 (that would only be about 6 though).  And not much experience beyond that where I would be able to compare.  I do suspect it is not the normal spin/whine you mention... but again, too inexperienced to know for sure.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

since you don't specify a drive model(s) I'm not sure just what you expect me to say?

drives that ARE specified for use in arrays or multiple drives in a enclosure do have different firmware and drive  mechanicals

to cope with vibration/harmonics

the z8xx workstations were only shipped/validated for up to 7200 rpm drives which were tested by HP 

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

since you don't specify a drive model(s) I'm not sure just what you expect me to say?

Egad, no I didn't.  Here is how it was listed on amazon:

Western Digital 8TB WD Black Performance Internal Hard Drive HDD - 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5"

WD8001FZBX

HP Recommended

i would not recommend a 7200 rpm drive, if possible look for a 5900 rpm model

a 5900 rpm drive will give 80% of the speed of a 7200, and generate a lot less heat/noise and be more power efficient

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Hard-Drives-5-900-RPM/s?keywords=Internal+Hard+Drives&rh=n%3A1254762...

also do not buy a "SMR" type drive

https://www.reichelt.com/magazin/en/guide/smr-cmr-which-hard-drive-is-best-for-which-purpose/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.