60 45 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Addinng 8 GB

HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have 4 sticks of 2 GB memory installed in my Z420. They are placed into the first 4 slots. I wondeer how do I add the 2 sticks of 4 GB memory?

I have this optimal configuration table....From it the 4 GB stisk shoudl be ALETRNATED with 2 GB sticks..

Z420 (3).jpg

But I also have this instruction wich says I must start with LARGER RAMS:

order.png

Please let me know which is the best way to add my 2 sticks of 4 GB ram

2 REPLIES 2
BRUCE_RUGAR
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Processors for the Z420 have four memory channels.  I would expect to get best performance with RAM equally distributed between the four channels.  I suggest that you try this first:

Place the 4 GB DIMMs in the slots furthest from the processor.  Place the 2 GB DIMMs in the slots nearest the processor.

Try this second:

Place the 2 GB DIMMs in the slots furthest from the processor.   No DIMMs in the slots closest to the processor.

If neither results in recognition of all the memory, use the order suggested by the manual:

Place the 4 GB DIMMs in the slots farthest from the processor.  No DIMMs in the slots closest the the processor.

The order suggested by the manual does not distribute memory equally between the four channels.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
BRUCE_RUGAR
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do not confuse the numbers assigned to the  DIMM slots with the order for installing DIMMs.  The diagram showing the order for installing DIMMs indicates that the first DIMM goes in Slot 1 and the second DIMM goes in slot 8.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation