Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP xw8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Motherboard is 0A98H

Very basic question: Are all the usb ports on HP xw8600 USB2 ports?

I'm having quite a time getting a diffinative answer to this question.

Also is there a simple tool that will tell me what version of usb a usb port is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

On that model, the USB ports are all USB2.  

See page 3 of the quickspecs below where the front, rear, and the internal ports are all listed as USB 2.

http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/xw8600_quickspecs.pdf

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See page 3 of the quickspecs below where the front, rear, and the internal ports are all listed as USB 2.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

Thanks, 

I had looked at that but was not really sure if all HP xw8600 had the same Motherboard.  And the windows device manager shows only one as `enhanced' which I read somewhere means USB2

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Where you see the Enhanced Host Controllers under the Universal Serial Bus device manager category, if there were USB3 ports, those would be listed as USB3 extensible host controllers.

There may be different revisions of the same motherboard, but none of those hardware revisions would have included USB3 ports.

HP Recommended

Paul's advice is always spot on..... 

Perhaps your question comes from a desire to have USB3 ports on your xw8600.  I have posted recently in the forum HERE on how to add a HP PCIe USB3 card, based on a Texas Instruments chipset, into the xw and ZX00 generations of workstations.  I have that working nicely in xw6600 workstations, and in Z400 and Z600 workstations.  It uses the exact same drivers as needed for the Z620 because HP integrated the same TI chipset into the motherboard of that entire generation of workstations.

Working great also under W10Pro64, latest FCU version, which I recently validated with multiple clean installs.

Needless to say, I'm only recommending that specific HP PCIe USB3 card.  You can look those posts up easily.... they are recent.

HP Recommended

Act

@SDH wrote:

Paul's advice is always spot on..... 

Perhaps your question comes from a desire to have USB3 ports on your xw8600.  I have posted recently in the forum HERE on how to add a HP PCIe USB3 card, based on a Texas Instruments chipset, into the xw and ZX00 generations of workstations.  I have that working nicely in xw6600 workstations, and in Z400 and Z600 workstations.  It uses the exact same drivers as needed for the Z620 because HP integrated the same TI chipset into the motherboard of that entire generation of workstations.

[...]

In this case no, I only wanted to make sure I had usb2... I was afraid they might all be usb1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.