Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP XW6200 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Hello to the community!

I have a XW6200 Workstation with two Xeon 3.2 MHz processors for graphic purposes.

The software worked very well in a Windows 7 64Bit platform, a Nvidia Quadro Graphics card and a SCSI card for imaging capture.

I believe the BIOS became corrupted, as the System behaves in a very unstable way.

I was trying to reinstall the BIOS again and also to install a prior version to compare performances.

However it was impossible to get so far such BIOSes in the Internet.

Actual BIOS installed in the workstation is v02.08 but even that BIOS is impossible to get.

So, I would ask to the Community if you can get me the BIOS v02.08 and its earlier version of the XW6200 Workstation.

I would much appreciate the attention!

Best Wishes!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're right, Paulo.

I'm sorry for the oversight.

Your model is too old for to flash from inside the File Menu.

OK...Here is a method just as easy...

I have zipped up and attached the BIOS flash ISO file for v2.03 below.

There is a readme file with instructions for use inside the folder, as well as the ISO file.

Burn the file to a CD using your CD burner's burn ISO file menu so the CD is bootable.

Then just boot from the CD to update the BIOS.

If you don't have a DVD burning program, I use this one all the time.  After you install the program, select the Burn ISO file from the menu.

https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/download

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can find all of the older BIOS revisions below...under the XP operating system -- previous versions.

You can also update the BIOS from 2.08 to 2.10 if you want.  I would probably do that before going older, but that is up to you.

Note that HP has removed v2.08 as an update option...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-xw6200-workstation/409749

Since the BIOS updates were written to be run on XP for the windows based flash, I highly recommend that you update the BIOS using the F10 flash system ROM method and flash the BIOS in DOS.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the answer and the link you gave helped me a lot!

I must say that in my early days it was easier to get information by the NET than today!

In fact, I knew how to update a BIOS Motherboard and even to "ressurrect" a dead Mobo with a simple PCI slot graphics card. Old times...

When I began this thread on this disscussion group I did not realize that it identifies the HP machine itself. I was typing from a Toshiba then. Now that I'm on the Workstation I clearly see the old BIOS codes.

However there is still a issue as you pointed well.

Old computers such as this one must flash the BIOS using a Flash program which runs in DOS mode. Usually the media to run the Flash program was a Diskette but today one can create a image to boot through a Pendrive.

Again, I can't get that Flash program and/or the system to create a bootable media.

Neither the resident BIOS of the Workstation seems to have capability to get the code of the BIOS I want to update/downgrade, I think. So far I tried a couple of options but none of them gave me any chance to input BIOS code. (Some Motherboards do have that capability though).

Can you or ar any one please get me a clue on how to get that Flash program?

Best regards.

Paulo

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Paulo.

Tell me what BIOS version you want to install, and I will give you the step by step instructions to install it.

I will zip up and atttach the DOS BIOS files you need for the version you want to install.

It is very easy to do.  You do not need to make a bootable flash drive.

All you need to do is to format the USB flash drive with the FAT32 file system

Then you copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder inside the exe file (after you run the exe file) onto your flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the F10 keyat the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get into the BIOS.

Select the File tab, Flash System ROM command. Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should see the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

But as I wrote, I will zip up and attach the DOS BIOS files from the BIOS version you want, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul,

According to your description, that is a different concept of upgrading BIOS I didn't know, I must say.

Indeed is much more easier but somehow "out of the box"...

The BIOS I intend to use is v2.03 Rev. a (Aug 26, 2005).

So let me say if I understand:

All the content of the downloaded compressed BIOS file in HP archive should be uncompressed in a USB Flash Drive in a FAT32 format. (Including folders?)

Then, when booting the System with F10 Key, the File Tab should show actually an option to update the BIOS. Does it is shown only by the context? Actually there is no viewable option on the File Tab.

Please help me Paul.

HP Recommended

You're right, Paulo.

I'm sorry for the oversight.

Your model is too old for to flash from inside the File Menu.

OK...Here is a method just as easy...

I have zipped up and attached the BIOS flash ISO file for v2.03 below.

There is a readme file with instructions for use inside the folder, as well as the ISO file.

Burn the file to a CD using your CD burner's burn ISO file menu so the CD is bootable.

Then just boot from the CD to update the BIOS.

If you don't have a DVD burning program, I use this one all the time.  After you install the program, select the Burn ISO file from the menu.

https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/download

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

That is the best and the oldie solution!

It worked!

Thanks for your support on this problem.

Now it is possible for me to compare BIOS performances.

Best wishes!

Paulo

HP Recommended

Anytime, Paulo.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.