Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm working on configuring our companies workstations and mobile devices AMT settings. We want to disable AMT in light of the security vulnerabilities they afford. 

Some of our workstations have BIOS passwords that we are unable to change. To test, we created a new password with HPQPswd64.exe. We ran the BIOS Configuration Utility on a test machine that has a BIOS password and we're getting this message

.\BiosConfigUtility64.exe /Set:"Z440-Workstation-AMT-Disable.txt" /nspwdfile:"biospassword.bin"
<BIOSCONFIG Version="" Computername="COMPUTERNAME" Date="2018/05/08" Time="11:13:22" UTC="-7">
<ERROR msg="Unable to process command. Password is set, but no password file is provided" />
<ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

Anyone had this issue before?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@SandyWood

Have you tried pushing the CMOS clear button???

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=6978828&MEID=376FB9C7-5E57-430C-8EDC-7FA05B847173

Zoom-in lower right hand corner.

REO

HP Recommended

Haven't resorted to that yet. I've got about 15 different HP models to deal with, over 900 systems to configure. I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that to configure things.

HP Recommended

Seems a bug in the 64bit ConfigUtility tool or the AMT  try the workarounds below

set a password for AMT, ( i suspect this is the cause of the error 10 in your case)

or

try specifying the full path to the TPMEnable.REPSET file

or,

create the password bin file with the 32-bit password application and not the 64-bit,

but use the 64-bit utility to assign the password and config txt file during the task sequence.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them out.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I think my issue is that my test machine has a BIOS password set on it. My fault, Duh.

Most of our systems don't have a password so I'll work on testing with them next, should be good.

I've also opted to install MIK in our SCCM world which appears to be able to do much of this automagically. I am running into issues with creating policies there but that's for another post!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.