Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8300 Elite USDT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I just purchased a  Intel i-7 3770k cpu upgrgade for my HP 8300 Elite usdt and installed the processor without any problems. Now I would like to over clock the cpu but don't know how to set the bus clock multiplier. overclocking via various windows-based software does not work. Can anyone tell me how to do it from either the BIOS or the motherboard? I have the lates version of BIOS as of a few days ago. Any help or insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I actually got it to overclock via software - took it from 3.5 GHz to 3.85 GHz and that is good enough for me!!!  If you turn the fan all the way up it is not bad at all, temp-wise. This is just a project PC. Thanks anyway 😄

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

trying to overclock a mini compact system is just asking for trouble.. this is why the HP bios does not allow this

you want to overclock a system? start with hardware that can be and is made for this 

HP Recommended

I actually got it to overclock via software - took it from 3.5 GHz to 3.85 GHz and that is good enough for me!!!  If you turn the fan all the way up it is not bad at all, temp-wise. This is just a project PC. Thanks anyway 😄

HP Recommended

TheNomadOfTime, I am very interested to know what software you were able to use on the Elite 8300 USDT to overclock.

HP Recommended

I use an older program called setfsb to change the front side bus clock speed and then I monitor the changes with Intel extreme tuning utility. Both are free. IF you do this be careful. Go into your BIOS and turn the fan speed ALL the way up. Then monitor for temp spikes with intel extreme tuning utility. You will have to run setfsb every time you boot the pc when you wis hto overclock. You will have to play with the setfsb settings quite a bit until you find the right preset. Good luck! OH AND MOST IMPORTANTLY- you must have a cpu that is unlocked (supports overclocking). I droped a intel i-7 3770K in it bercause the factory i-5 was both slow and did not support over clocking.

HP Recommended

Thank you, TheNomadOfTime, for your prompt response -much appreciated. You see, I was looking for a new 'PC project' after I maxed out a dc7900 USDT (see the discussion thread I started/completed recently).  Because I wanted to create something far more powerful than the dc7900 USDT could ever be (topped off with a Q9550S at 2.83 MHz, four cores, four threads), I purchased an Elite 8300 USDT based on some research. I am very excited that an i7-3770K will fit.  In addition to the i7-3770 I already owned, I will now order the "K" variant.

Yes, faster CPUs create more heat.  To that end, I had ordered an aftermarket socket 1155 heat sink with fan (see pic: sometimes takes a day before HP releases it).

Looking at the motherboard specs, I wonder if it would allow 2 x 16GB DDR3 RAM -will definitely try that in the next little while.

Socket 1155 Heat Sink + Fan.jpg

HP Recommended

I'm happy to help. Let me know if you get the 2X 16GB RAM to work. I'd love to put 32 GB in mine. Nice fan, too. Please let me know how it works out.

HP Recommended

Hey, TheNomadOfTime, at your convenience, please take a look at my "Upgrading HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT" forum entries, and see where I am

HP Recommended

Greetings, The NomadOfTime, I have been trying to OC my i7-3770K (now installed in an HP Pro 6300 SFF) using SetFSB -but no luck.  You succeeded, please share the steps with your indulgence. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.