Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Z400 with mirrored  512 drives . Recently I did a Microsoft update and as a result have had a spinning circle on the desktop for days. Now is time to figure out the best repair solution. I have tried booting on a repair USB with no luck. I get to repairing  system then I am back the spinning circle.

1) can I break the Mirror and remount a drive with  the normal sata cable

2) in tat case I might be able reboot in safe mode and fix

If I can not fix and need to reinstall the OS how can I get the Serial number to install windows 10 and will plugging the now  no longer bookable drive as a second sata make it readable?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

if your win 10 was a upgrade from win 7 pro done during the free upgrade period no serial is required as you have digital entitlement license locked to that board and you skip the serial when prompted for it during the install

if a retail win 10, then i hope you have the serial that came with it as it's required

HP Recommended

Thank you i still want to pull data off old disk

HP Recommended

install a new bootable drive (with space for recovered files) as the primary boot device

now see if you can access the old array as a data drive, if not you can now try retail data recovery programs

a word of warning, never use any program that writes to the drive being recovered, you want read only access on it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.