Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
T530
Linux

Hello,

We use HPDM5.0, and i am looking for a bios update (with HP update center) for the HP T530 thin client.

M41_0107_Linux_x64 is only available for HP ThinPro 6-64/HP ThinPro 7 but not for Thinpro 7.2

The downloaded HP ThinPro 6-64/HP ThinPro 7 version is not visible for Thinpro 7.2 clients.

Any thoughts how to obtain it for Thinpro 7.2 ?

Greetings Maurice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BIOS update script used in HPDM is common for HP ThinPro7, 7.1 and 7.2. The only part you need to take care is when you import the script you need to make sure to select ThinPro7.2 as the OS. This will ensure that the Template gets copied to the right OS Tab. Then you can send it to the unit. 

Since you have mentioned that the units are at different location. Its better to setup a Child repository at that location to ensure the file is copied without delay. 

**Click the thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Maurice_J -- An actual BIOS update is independent of the operating system that is being used on the computer.  So, if you upgrade, say from Windows 8 to Windows 10, there is no need to update the BIOS.

However, for HP, the actual BIOS update is inside a "wrapper". You launch the wrapper, using the operating system that was current when the BIOS update was issued, and the wrapper "unpacks" the actual BIOS update, and interacts with the motherboard to update the BIOS firmware.

Also, the HP "wrappers" can be used to either create a "bootable" USB memory-stick, or to write only the actual BIOS update to any folder on your computer.  Then, boot your computer from the memory-stick, instead of booting your usual operating system, to apply the actual BIOS update.  Or, restart your computer, and enter BIOS SETUP. There will be an option to read the "bare" BIOS update from some media (CD-writable, external disk-drive, USB memory-stick) to apply the update "within" the BIOS SETUP mode.

But, the largest question is "why are you trying to update the BIOS?"  

There are far too many "BIOS update failed -- my computer is now a BRICK" messages on this forum.

Is there something contained in an updated BIOS that specifically applies to your motherboard?

My advice is to do your research before trying any BIOS Update, and then maybe to NOT try -- an unexpected power-outage in the middle of a BIOS Update can be a disaster.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, i want to update 150 thin clients, scattered over 4 Caribbean islands, thousand's of kilometers apart Your suggestion to do it manually is no option.

I want to start testing with it, and cant find the update file on HP update center, the discussion whether its needed is not relevant at this time.

Do you have a suggestion how i can obtain the ready made script to update the Thinpro 7.2 T530 clients with the M41_0107 bios update ?

HP Recommended

Yes, HP has not made it easy to find but it is there:

Search google for Thinpro 7.2 T530 hp drivers and you'll get a HP link at the top.  Go to that link... you need to change the OS selection from the dropdown for Windows. For me it defaulted to OS as Linux.  Change to Windows and move to the right and use that dropdown to go to the very bottom:

For forum.jpg

...gets you this.jpg

I downloaded that by highlighting and choosing save as to my desktop.  Ran that SoftPaq as admin.... you can unpack it on pretty much any Windows OS and any computer.... it will not try to update the BIOS on the computer you unpack it on.  It is stored on the root level of C in a folder SWSetup.  Inside that looks like this:

Unpacks to C  SWSetup  SP97029.jpg

The instructions from that are attached as a PDF below, at the bottom.  For those of us running workstations we have found that running a BIOS updater program built for Windows XP or W7 under W10 adds a layer of risk.  I therefore only update BIOS from within BIOS... never from within the OS.  HP has built this capability into BIOS, and BIOS is a primative OS if you think about it.  I have no experience with updating Thin Clients but the instructions attached should help you.

Some people in the forum here shy away from updating their BIOS.  I have never had an issue updating BIOS from within BIOS and I have done that literally hundreds of times with our HP workstations.  There are significant fixes that come with BIOS updates, including adding new processor capabilities and adding security features at a BIOS level that HP and Intel agree are important, even critical.  I respect the right to an opinion, but it is an incorrect opinion if you know what you are doing.  For those who don't then that approach is right for them.

Good luck on your project... that is a big one!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, i found the place your pointed to.

But i want to update the HPDM install so i can send an automatic script to the T530 , this template / script copies the update to the thin client and performs the update fully automatically

These are the templates for Thinpro 7.0 (with the bios update available) on our HPDM server

Maurice_J_1-1638217525732.png

This is the HP update center to open from HPDM , and the Bios update T530 for Thinpro 7.2 is missing ?

Maurice_J_0-1638217333269.png

HP Recommended

BIOS update script used in HPDM is common for HP ThinPro7, 7.1 and 7.2. The only part you need to take care is when you import the script you need to make sure to select ThinPro7.2 as the OS. This will ensure that the Template gets copied to the right OS Tab. Then you can send it to the unit. 

Since you have mentioned that the units are at different location. Its better to setup a Child repository at that location to ensure the file is copied without delay. 

**Click the thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Thanks !

Its not very clear that you can change the OS, but you can

Maurice_J_0-1639072061748.png

Maurice_J_1-1639072121994.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.