Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

The marketing hype (wrt specs) is something I am fully aware of, in fact it's my background.

I've been looking at the Intels and the Samsung SM/PM drives, but it's hardly beneficial to buy used because of the increased competition from the latest M.2s of WD, ADATA ao. I can buy a 970 Evo Plus 500GB in a sealed box for €80. You won't find many NVMe M.2s at prices < €50 on the used market.

Unless one primarily deals with very large files, for most users any NVMe M.2 SSD will probably be fast enough, 98% of the time.

HP Recommended

you can find both the intel 750 series and samsung enterprise ssd's on amazon/newegg and other resellers as "NOS" new old stock both are "MLC" based drives and depending on your data usage patterns might be worth considering

i have mentioned numerous times in previous posts that i do not recommend most users buy ssd's off ebay as the common ones listed there are not good deals compared to the major online retailers

HP Recommended

Does anybody have experience  with the Samsung PM981a (MZVLB512HAJQ-00000)?

This is the successor to the PM981 and basically an OEM version of the 970 Evo Plus.

HP Recommended

without you specifically stating just what you are looking for, all i can tell you is that for all practical purposes both ssd revisions are the same from a user perspective nothing much was changed, the controller is still a polaris based controller using TLC nand and the speed specs between both are the same

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/4/b/7/f/63615517d004b8ee7452f4f76469c7129df9.pdf 

HP Recommended

The 981a that I ordered is actually a HP oem version, but that's irrelevant in this case. It's the cheapest 512 GB NVMe I could find.

I'm contemplating a dual boot (Win 10 + MacOS) by using another m.2 and a dual m.2 pcie adapter.

DGroves, do you have experience with such (or similar dual boot) configurations? Specifically regarding 2 operating systems, each installed on a dedicated ssd, but mounted on a dual m.2 PCIe adapter (I'll manage the MacOS part ;-)).

Your replies are much appreciated.

HP Recommended

the issue with all dualboots which include windows is that the MS boot manager is very limited as such to dual boot windows and another OS you must use a different boot manager such as grub and this becomes much harder when you also have to use a second boot manager/emulator to load the mac OS

i sidestep these issues myself by using vmware workstation patched to work with the latest mac OS as my mac needs are very modest

check/ask on the tonymacx86.com website

https://www.tonymacx86.com/

HP Recommended

It's known that a dual boot system is more prone to all kinds of boot issues, especially if it's a Hackintosh and probably even more if Windows and macOS are supposed to boot from the same PCIe slot. I'll have to look into this in more detail.

Some years ago I managed to boot macOS on my XW6600, but encoutered too many problems afterwards. The HP Z-series are much easier to convert into a Hackintosh, because these have a lot in common with the Nehalem/Westmere Mac Pros. 

It appears, I made a good deal on the Samsung 981a (less than 20% of the attached retail price).

HP L50352-001 512GB M.2 2280 PM981a PCIe Gen.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.