Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the Z820 support booting to PCI-e 3.0 NVMe drives?

I'm trying to get this configuration to work, but I'm having a heck of a time.  I'm running the latest BIOS version 3.94, and it is configured for UEFI boot.

I have a USB installation drive that is formatted with a GPT partition using NTFS.

I pick F9 at startup, pick my USB drive from the UEFI section, and install Windows just fine.  The Windows installation process sees my NVMe drive with no trouble, and installs to it just fine.  However, after the install is finished, I reboot and it won't boot to the NVMe drive.

Has anyone gotten this to work on a Z820? I have an pci-e 3.0,  and a crucial p2 1Tb nvme  m.2 ssd. 

I also want to update my second system Z600 with an m.2 ssd and don't know if it will waork and which are the steps. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

your question has been asked/answer numerous times already, please use this forums "SEARCH" feature to read the numerous replies on this subject

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Booting-to-NVMe-ON...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.