7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Booting z620 with the raiser.

HP Recommended
z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I bought secondhand z620 cpu raiser for my machine, unfortunalty i still dont have second cpu to test with if its working at all. Can I just plug the raiser in without installing second cpu?

Kind Regards

B.

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,488 4,471 407 937
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes, the riser can be installed without a cpu/ram (hp ships systems this way)

just take your time, and make sure that the riser is fully seated, and the riser's supplemental power connector is attached correctly

0 Kudos
lezion
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm i just tried that, fans spin, no beeps, after 30  seconds fans go crazy. Maybe i bought broken riser?

0 Kudos
lezion
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, weird i took the metal and plastic casing off and i plug bare riser and it booted fine. Okay so i mounted riser back again in metal casing, no boot. Maybe it is that power connector that cant reach

0 Kudos
BambiBoomZ
Level 7
713 685 45 192
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lezion,

I had a z620 with 2X Xeon E5-2690 (8C@2.9/3.8GHz).

I don't think- at least I've never tried it- the system will start without a CPU exactly matching CPU 0 and at least one memory module on the riser board.  One of the problems is likely to be that the second CPU fan is not detected and if any fan is missing, BIOS will shut down the system to protect itself plus there will be a fatal memory error without any RAM on the riser board.

Run the sysem without the riser installed until it has the CPU, memory, and importantly, the fans connected.  Anyway, it's impossible to install those components with the riser in place. The board has to be on the bench for access.  Air flow in the case will be much better without the riser anyway.

BambiBoomZ

0 Kudos
lezion
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the answer. I think you right, it turns out that if i unplug risers power from psu it boots fine with warnings about second cpu fan not connected. I just wanted to clarify if it works before i run and buy second cpu. Anyhow maybe someone tested this machine without cpu in the riser?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation