20 17 1 5
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Both CPUs (sockets) Not Showing-up

HP Recommended
HP Workstation xw8000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello Community!

Thank you a head of time for all of your help!

QUESTION: How do I make sure both CPU's are being utilized and "hyper-threading"?

STORY: In CPUZ (sees only one socket) and Speccy only show one cpu and supposedly that that particular one is hyper-threading. In "Task Manager" it shows two CPU's active (but not 4 as one would expect when two CPUs are hyper-threaded), and in "Resource Monitor" it shows CPU 0 and 1 (I am assuming one socket hyper-threaded). However, in "Device Manager" it shows 4 CPUs (I am assuming the standard two CPUs hyper-threaded). While POSTing it shows 4 CPU's, but in BIOS it doen't show me any number.

THE MACHINE (ancient): XW8000 (HP Support page (Specs): https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00347879)

• It has two of the stock 3.2 Xeons (single core) in it.
  • Tower, not rack.
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

Thank you again for all of your help and time!

BIOS ConfigBIOS Config
POSTingPOSTing

10 REPLIES 10
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

does the bios when booting show 1 or 2 processors? if it shows 2 then both physical cpu's are seen and working by the motherboard. if only one, then there is a hardware issue (bad cpu or cpu socket pin are the most common issue)

if you have 2 cpu's in the bios startup, then check bios options for anyhing related to hyperthreading this workstation is rather early (has AGP video slot) so the bios default may be to disable hyperthreading

http://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/c00215109.pdf

rodeab1
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 5
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

does the bios when booting show 1 or 2 processors? if it shows 2 then both physical cpu's are seen and working by the motherboard. if only one, then there is a hardware issue (bad cpu or cpu socket pin are the most common issue)

if you have 2 cpu's in the bios startup, then check bios options for anyhing related to hyperthreading this workstation is rather early (has AGP video slot) so the bios default may be to disable hyperthreading

http://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/c00215109.pdf

Thank you Dgroves,

I did enable the hyberthreading early on in the process and that didn't seem to change anything.

Strange to me, this whole time that there are 4 CPUs in 'device manager'. If there was something wrong with the socket or cpu, those wouldn't show up, would they? It's just strange that they would be in DM, but nowhere else.

Bellow are pictures of the bios and the POSTing screens. In the POST it shows 4 CPU's and in the BIOS config it shows 1 (see picture), but should it show 2?

Thank you!

IMG_20180915_153339[1].jpg
IMG_20180915_153451[1].jpg

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the black bios screen is showing CPU=4 which means the system is seeing 2 physical cpu's with hyperthreading enabled for 2 more cores which equals 4

the system is working hardware wise, so the question is which os are you running? if it's not windows 7 Professional or higher, which can use up to two sockets  that's your Problem,  also XP/vista can only see/use one cpu socket no matter which edition it is

windows 7 home is limited to only one cpu socket, and this is listed in the Ms Os description of the home editions

rodeab1
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 5
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

the black bios screen is showing CPU=4 which means the system is seeing 2 physical cpu's with hyperthreading enabled for 2 more cores which equals 4

the system is working hardware wise, so the question is which os are you running? if it's not windows 7 Professional or higher, which can use up to two sockets  that's your Problem,  also XP/vista can only see/use one cpu socket no matter which edition it is

windows 7 home is limited to only one cpu socket, and this is listed in the Ms Os description of the home editions

Hello DGroves,

Thank you for your quick replies. Okay, that is great if it's doing that. Oh, okay, I see, so the OS is Win7HomePremiumx32. I am only using Win7 temporarly, because that's the most stable right now to make sure this rig is usable. I am going to install linux, do you know which would support multiple sockets?

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

any linux build from current going back quite a few years will support dual/quad socketed systems

0 Kudos
rodeab1
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 5
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DGroves,

thank you for that. I have learned tonight, sadly, that that is true excpet for the recent releaces of anything Ubuntu based. Meaning, anything Ubuntu based (lubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, etc) will not run older computers with multipul CPUs.

Thank you for your help and time today. You have been really been helpful!

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the main reasion newer OS's fail to run on older cpu's is that the older CPU's lack some instructions which are now used in newer OS's  execute disable is one such instruction

for your system, windows 7 prof will run fine. and i belive that puppy linux will also run

https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

rodeab1
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 5
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's interesting that you gave that link. I had just been looking into some of those. I am heavily leaning towards MX Linux. I just looked at it with the live disk and it ran great with all the cores. The new mint couldn't do that. The new mint locked up and couldn't see both cores.

Thank you for the information about the instruction sets. Yes, if only I had access to a legitimate key for windows 7 pro. However, they will figure out how to use Linux and it will help them learn good computers skills. These computers are going to my friend who built a school in a refugee camp in Ghana with his barehanded. Pretty impressive fellow. So, so of the machines are win10 while the rest are some form of linux. I didn't want to be consistent so that they could learn right from the start.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can buy legit win 7 pro keys on ebay for around 10/20 dollars

once you buy and get the key, you can check if it's a geninue key by calling microsoft automated phone line

and if not geninue, notify seller and ebay for a refund

even better, buy a HP branded win 7 pro disk, it will install and self activate these sell for the same price

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation