Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

that's your job to decide if a upgrade is worthwhile the 2687w v4 (or the 2690 ) is approx 20/ 25% faster than your current cpu in single/dual threaded apps

so if most of your time is spent in apps that can use all cores your current cpu is best

if most or up to half your time is in apps that favor MHz then the 2687w or 2690 is most likely the best choice

if the system is used to make a living then a Return On Investment analysis needs to be done

to put it simply in a example:

if a upgrade costs 100.00 and the upgrade allows the task to complete  10min sooner and you bill out at 10.00 per hr

will you recoup the upgrade cost before the system needs to be replaced? keep in mind that the faster you finish something the sooner you can start another paying job

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-xeon-e5-2686-v4

Edit:

you might also want to consider getting a another system such as a AMD AM4 based system with a Ryzen 5/7 CPU to use with apps that perform best on a faster CPU and dedicate the z840 for apps that can use multicore cpu's

this will allow each system to to be tuned for it's best performance with the apps you use

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your valuable time helping me.

You just open my eye on a new branch that i need to study or read more about it, as I am using the machine for freelance jobs.

Also regarding the AMD suggestion, please note that, here in Egypt I buy the HB z840 from a secondary used market, so does the AMD behave the same? I mean does brands like HP produce machine with AMD for z840 or it is xeon based only.

Thanks 👍

HP Recommended

the HP "Z" series workstation line is not targeted for the retail consumer it is usually sold bundled with the specific hardware/software the client requires and workstation/servers usually use Intel xeon or AMD threadripper cpu's along with the motherboard that supports said cpu  and motherboards for each cpu line are not interchangeable

most older computer hardware will at some point be available on the used equipment market be it retail consumer or bushiness type equipment

i suggested you consider a AMD made "Ryzen" AM4 based platform (motherboard) which supports Ryzen  5 series cpu such as the Ryzen 5 5700x with a compatible motherboard these cpu's/boards come in OEM systems from numerous companies like dell/HP/Lenovo/Acer and so on you can also buy the motherboard /cpu/case from places like amazon/ebay

or prebuilt systems from hundreds of resellers

if you use the z840 for the virtual emu's and rendering

and also use a ryzen 5 system for the other tasks, this system can be a mini ITX box or mini tower with minimal storage/video as it will only need a fast cpu, with moderate storage and video (some Ryzen cpu's come with embedded video)

https://www.amazon.com/Computers-Windows-Graphics-Support-Ethernet/dp/B0BNDTS2ZM/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1678...

https://www.amazon.com/Desktops-AMD-Ryzen-5-Computers-Tablets/s?rh=n%3A565098%2Cp_n_feature_four_bro...

HP Recommended

DGroves, fantastic video link on install of the Z-Cooler Vapor coolers. Lots of valuable tips in there.

Here are a few added things:

1. His shorter T15 torx driver has its wider plastic handle part forcing him into an angle for his screwing in of the "rear" screws. Years ago I bought a nice long-shaft T-handle T15 torx driver from McMaster.com that helps avoid almost all of the angle issue shown in the video... a great computer tool to have for those of us upgrading processors, and it lets you easily apply downward pressure during start of the screwing-down process:

Great computer tool to have...Great computer tool to have...

2. During screwing down of the processor screws it is advised by HP to rotate diagonally between the screws so they go down a bit each time and thus will seat equally as you advance. I do a couple of full turns of each screw, move diagonally, and keep going to ensure each of the 4 get a couple of full turns as I progress. Once I hit bottom I finally back off 1/2 turn and then hand-torque to the same gentle value as I finish off each screw equally. No need to really crank down at that last stage. Just barely bottom out equally. I only use the original Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, about a 6 mm diameter dot, spread quite thin evenly on the processor's stainless top cap out of the case before setting it gently on the pins. Never drop it in... I first clean old thermal compound off out of the case with some folded up paper towel under the processor to protect the components on the underside. Isopropyl alcohol dampened (but never dripping) paper towel pieces work great.

3. Some Intel processors have earlier and later "steppings" and you'd want to buy the latest one. Luckily the two main processors DGroves advised on only have one sSpec code (one stepping).  If there are 2 or even 3 steppings (rare) each will have a different sSpec code. Just search for the processor's name and find the google link to the Intel "Ark" site, and it is pretty easy to find in the Compliance and Specifications section the listing of the steppings/sSpec codes if more than one. I then choose the latest one and search eBay for that one sSpec code.

4. Critical (and mentioned in the video) is to update the BIOS before you upgrade the processor. An old BIOS may not support a new processor that a newer BIOS would have. You can imagine the corner you get painted into if that is the case during your processor upgrade. Been there, done that, did not like that.

5. Point of interest... I got a great deal on a used HP Z840 Vapor cooler and still have not gotten around to my project to see if I can nicely mount a 92x92x25 mm HP PWM processor fan to its front face and see if it fits into highly souped up Z420/Z440 builds here, just for grins. I already am running those with the double cooling capacity Z440 standard heatsink/fan which also fits great in the Z420 and all of our single processor Z620/Z640 builds:

749554-001 can be used in ZX20 & ZX40 builds749554-001 can be used in ZX20 & ZX40 builds

HP Recommended

to "SDH" you can mount the fan to this cooler using nylon zip ties and nylon washers

if you want to go all out you can use adhesive weather stripping to lower vibration noise and increase cooling airflow as the weatherstripping will raise the fan away from the cooler slightly increasing airflow and decreasing air turbulence

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, @DGroves for your reply.

Do you mean buying this exact system will help produce what I am doing in a shorter time or I've got you wrong?

In other words, do you mean to keep the current system I've and instead of buying 2x CPUs, go ahead and order the mentioned AMD system?

I am asking because you are more experience and I trust your knowledge.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@DGroves

A gentle reminder if you do not mind 

HP Recommended

spend some time doing research........................... compare the cpu's  benchmarks between the z840/ryzen  cpu's

google "e5-2686 v4 vs ryzen 5600u" to see what the speed difference between the cpu's 

one such link:

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/gij91d/12

last, does your current "IDE" setup consume more ram than 512GB? i suspect so therefor any ryzen system you are considering must be expandable in terms of memory

also, a "IDE" setup requires a fair bit of HD space, what is your current space requirements? can the ryzen box support a main boot ssd and a second mech hard drive?

this system supports up to 64GB ram and dual SSD's and has support for a internal 7mm 2.5 HD and uses the faster 5600H laptop based cpu as opposed to the ultra low power 5600u for your intended use the the "H" series cpu is strongly preferred

https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/mini-pcs/pn-series/asus-expertcenter-pn52/

https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/mini-pcs/pn-series/asus-expertcenter-pn52/techspec/

last, i make my living in this field and while happy to help that does not mean i provide free specific consulting services

i have provided you with the necessary information for you to look into deciding if a second system tailored for your non multicore apps  is a cost effective way to go if you have any other questions besides me researching which specific system to buy i'll be happy to reply to a personal PM" (email)

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your valuable time.

You already did help me a lot, my friend 🙂

I will follow your advice.

I am sorry if my replies sound like I am lazy but the point is that I am new to all these kinds of stuff because I thought buying the highest cores is the best option and never thought hertz mattered.

I will look for the details you mentioned.

What is your email?

Thanks 🙂

HP Recommended

this site has a mail capability that allows logged in users to send private messages (email) to any other registered users forum account once logged in look for a envelope icon on the upper right (near your forum name) and click on that

and no i don't think that you are lazy at all, actually you a appear to be doing your best to get the best upgrade you can

it's just that while i have no problem  giving you my recommendations on "HOW" to select the best upgrade i don't actually select a users upgrade for them as i considerer doing this to be more of a consulting related thing

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.