Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone

I wish to replace the E5-2650 v3 CPU on my Hp Z840 with an E5-2690v3 CPU.  I have installed it without issue as it seems simple however after installing the CPU when I tried to boot it up all I get is a beeping noise and a red flashing LED light.  The system won't boot up.  Have I missed, something?

Regards

HP Dude

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

One thing you may need to check, its power supply.

1. There are few PSU's for the whole series from 1125W to 1450W (and depending on voltage too). Two CPU's only have 30W difference but 30W is 30W.

2. You may also need to check BIOS and update if required

Just my 2 cents.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have the 1125W  power supply.

HP: "The 1125W Power Supply can also supply 1450W of output power when the input voltage is greater than 180V under all conditions".

I'm in Australia where our output voltage is greater than 180 V so power supply is not the problem.

I have a feeling that it is a BIOS update as I am using the high end CPU and I have not done any update as of yet.

HP Recommended

Hi,

This HP Z840 Workstation supports 2 Intel Xeon Processors E5-2600 v3/v4 family and
hence both E5-2650 v3 CPU and E5-2690v3 CPU are supported with this model with the stock PSU.

So if you are using 2 processors, please make sure that the second processor is the same as the first.

Also, this unit does not have integrated graphics, so please make sure that the graphic card is used for the unit to boot.

You can check the following link to get the best or optimized performance for memory configuration, recommended graphic card and memory load order:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04400043.pdf?ver=2

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

Regards,

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.
HP Recommended

HP Dude, the front panel LED will have a repeating pattern of blinks when there are errors.  How many blinks/beeps are there, before the pattern repeats? 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Hello HP4Eva,

As per your Wish, your unit is very much eligible for this upgrade. Below are few comparision pointers for your reference:

ProcessorClock Speed (GHz)CoresCache (MB)Memory Speed (MHz)QPI Speed (GT/s)Hyper ThreadingFeaturing Intel® vPro? TechnologyIntel® Turbo Boost Technology1TDP (W
Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 v3 processor2.6123021339.6YESYES9-May135
Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 v3 processor2.3102521339.6YESYES7-Mar105

And to isolate the beep sound pattern, kindly refer to the below link, it will help you to isolate the failure, as per beep Code.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0100459

If you wish to make it as Dual processors, please Note : the second processor must be the same as the first. Intel processor numbers are not a measurement of higher performance. Processor numbers differentiate features within each processor family, not across different processor families. See: http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/ for details.

#HPExpertDay

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to say thanks! ***

HP Recommended

I have not done your advise yet as I cant seem to find the time these days.  Thank you for your advise I will check for this soon.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advise I will check for this soon.

HP Recommended

Both processors are exactly the same.  I have tried each one as a single install and boot up but having thesame problem with a single and dual install. But when I replace with the Xeon E5 2620 V3 which was the original CPU installed when I purchased it works fine.

I have not done your advise yet as I cant seem to find the time these days.  Thank you for your advise I will check for this soon.

HP Recommended

was this issue ever resolved ,im having the same problem

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.