Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
E0G38UP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, anybody could help me out, i had spend lots of hours to looking for exactly quickspec for hp z420 Boot Block Date: 12/28/2011. i cant find the spec i needed!!!" most of them v2, v3,v4.....

i'm awake of this CPU are v1 to know if any cpu upgrade for v1???.... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@justsimple88, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation.  On Page 21, it tells the processors that are compatible with the motherboard; 

Intel Series C602 chipset:

Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-1600 Series and E5-2600 Series, including processors up to 150 W

● Integrated 4-channel memory controller

● Microarchitecture improvements

● Large L3 cache for superior performance

● Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) connects processors and I/O controller with speeds up to 8 GT/s HP Liquid Cooling option is available for all Z420 processors a nd is required on the E5-2687W processor model.

The Guide will have any other information that you need, also.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@justsimple88, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation.  On Page 21, it tells the processors that are compatible with the motherboard; 

Intel Series C602 chipset:

Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-1600 Series and E5-2600 Series, including processors up to 150 W

● Integrated 4-channel memory controller

● Microarchitecture improvements

● Large L3 cache for superior performance

● Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) connects processors and I/O controller with speeds up to 8 GT/s HP Liquid Cooling option is available for all Z420 processors a nd is required on the E5-2687W processor model.

The Guide will have any other information that you need, also.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

okay thank you i will let you know if i got any problem... 

HP Recommended

could you help me find more detail what series on xeon will actually working on hp z420. save my time to find to right lists. 

another question....... if v2 cpu will work on hp z420 v1? or need bios need update? i   dont want waste on my money to spend wrong it really older pc 

HP Recommended

Read this post,  HERE.

You understand that you have a v1 Z420 rather than a v2 Z420 with the newer of the two boot block dates of 3/6/13.

Yours can only run the processors listed in the earlier QuickSpecs for the Z420..... download a bunch of those and when you see processors that are Intel V2 you'll know you can't run those.  Processors listed in the early QuickSpecs may not be listed in the later ones but they'll still work.

Your heatsink/fan can run the cooler or hotter running processors, which is nice.

There are lots of posts in here about upgrading the Z620 to faster processors and you'll be able to get perspective from those posts..... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.