1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

CPU upgrade

HP Recommended
Z220 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello I hope you can help me

I have a workstation Z220 with I5 processor, It's possible ugrade it to I7?

Thank you so much

Regards

Giorgio

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 10
1,990 1,945 178 563
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to provide a bit more information, and it may help to read up on posts here about "boot block date" from BIOS related to the Z620 Z600 Z420 Z400 to get an idea about differences in the motherboards that might exist in the Z220.

What form factor is your Z220?  CMT?   SFF?

What are the AS and the SP part numbers on the main white label on the motherboard?

Also, it will be worthwhile to collect a number of versions of the QuickSpecs for your type of Z220, both early and late versions from over the years, to see the various processors that HP supported for it and when.  Make a spreadsheet if needed.  No need to gather data on the slower processors.

I don't know yet whether there are version 1 and version 2 motherboards for the Z220 like there are for the ZX00 and ZX20 other workstations posted about in here, but your research will help figure that out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,990 1,945 178 563
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From a quick look at the later versions of the QuickSpecs for the two SFF and CMT forms of the Z220 the Intel Core i7-3770 quad core looks supported for both form factors and there are two even faster v2 (Ivy Bridge) processors which are also quad cores but do not include the on-chip graphics feature.  I always use an independent video card anyway....

It is a good exercise to look those 3 up, go to Intel and find their sSpec codes, and go look on eBay under that sSpec code to find the used cost.  Use google for the processor name, find the Intel ark link, go down on the left to ordering to find the sSpec code, take that to eBay and search there with each sSpec code.  It was more common in the past to have multiple sSpec codes for a processor (in which case you always would want the latest).  More recently there usually is only one.

For example:  the i7-3770 has a single sSpec code of SR0PK (that is a zero, not the letter O, in the middle) and it can be bought for a bit over 100.00 USD used from eBay.  The next two are both v2 processors, from the later HP QuickSpecs.  The SFF may not run the fastest (hottest) one.

The fastest I see from HP for the Z220 CMT is the E3-1290v2 with sSpec code of SR0PC (same zero) for about 222.00 used.

Next step down:  E3-1280v2 with sSpec code SR0P7 for about 175.00.

If you have a slow i3 or i5 the i7 noted above would be a nice upgrade.  If you do that upgrade my advice is to get a reasonably fast video card to run with that rather than rely on the on-chip graphics.  One I like for small form factor is the Quadro K600 off eBay.... if you backplane requires 1/2 height make sure you buy one with that, or get a 1/2 height plate in addition.  What card you'd want all depends on what you're wanting to do, and what form factor your Z220 is.

Make sure to upgrade your BIOS to the latest version before even starting a processor upgrade project, and read the notes in the QuickSpecs regarding that some of these processors can only run on non-ECC memory, etc.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation