Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z800

I have a HP Z800 workstation with the PSU issue.. this is now the 3rd replacement PSU for the Z800 that has failed and started randomly shutting off. I haven't heard about such issues with the newer Z820 and Z840 PSUs, so i am thinking that if the Z840 PSU can work in the Z800, that might be money better spent to keep this Z800 going. I read somewhere the Z820 is not compatible due to a 11v SB, but the Z840 has the same 5vsb as the Z800. Can anyone confirm trying the Z840 PSU in a Z800 successfully or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DGroves I see just as many reports of the 1250W PSU failing for the Z800, so I don't think I want to go down that path. Don't want to keep spending $100-150 every 2 years for this PC.

That said, I also happen to have a Z840 (my computer) and decided to compare the Z800 vs Z840 PSUs and the pin alignment isn't the same. So, it's not going to be a simple swap to take a Z840 PSU and plug it into the Z800.

I think I'm just going to take one of the previously failed Z800 PSUs to someone who does electronics repair. I'd rather spend money on a real fix than buy another crappy Z800 PSU. This way, when it's time to sell the Z800, the next owner doesn't have to worry about the PSU again too.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

i don't think anyone is willing to sacrifice a working z800 system or z840 power supply to test this

however nothing is preventing you from being the first..............................

personally, i would buy a upgraded z800  1250 watt power supply instead of the stock 850 watt unit as the upgraded ones appear to be trouble free

HP Recommended

@DGroves I see just as many reports of the 1250W PSU failing for the Z800, so I don't think I want to go down that path. Don't want to keep spending $100-150 every 2 years for this PC.

That said, I also happen to have a Z840 (my computer) and decided to compare the Z800 vs Z840 PSUs and the pin alignment isn't the same. So, it's not going to be a simple swap to take a Z840 PSU and plug it into the Z800.

I think I'm just going to take one of the previously failed Z800 PSUs to someone who does electronics repair. I'd rather spend money on a real fix than buy another crappy Z800 PSU. This way, when it's time to sell the Z800, the next owner doesn't have to worry about the PSU again too.

HP Recommended

i did "IT" until i recently retired and being a HP shop, we maintained many many z800/z820 systems (several hundred) and never had power supply issues............. all ways take negative reports with a grain of salt

i'm not saying you do/did not have a power supply issue, rather that it's a uncommon occurrence overall, a lot of the z800 bad supply reports were from people with 850 watt units overloading them with addons like dual video cards high perf cpu's and lots of ram

HP Recommended

@DGroves yeah, I get you...  no one reports their Z800 PSU has worked flawlessly for X years. So, there's a lack of context there. But that said, I've seen the many reports, and then experienced it myself multiple times now, granted I bought the Z800 used, and I replaced it with used Z800 PSUs. In any case, been there, done that a couple of times now, so going to try something different instead of buying another used Z800 PSU. If I can't find someone to fix the Z800 PSU, then the machine will be scrapped I think and I'll just get my son a different PC.

HP Recommended

do you have a UPS attached to the z800? a unstable power source that varies constantly can contribute to a power supplies demise 

HP Recommended

actually, I do have a UPS. there's one on every PC and for all the servers in my rack. no other system here has failed PSUs in recent years except the Z800, which failed in 2017, 2019, and now another starting to fail. The last PSU failure I experienced among the couple dozen machines here, other than the Z800, was on a low end Dell Inspiron PC from around 2008.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.