Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am getting trouble codes indicating bad motherboard. Have 618266-004 but would rather move to the z840 motherboard so I could upgrade to v3-v4 processors.   

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@NonyaBussiness,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

There are what appears to be differences between the two motherboards -meaning, beyond needing different connector cables, the Z840 motherboard may not even physically fit in your Z820 chassis:

NonSequitur777_0-1669617704464.png

Then again, one could always try.  My suggestion: purchase one via eBay from a Seller that allows (free) return if it doesn't work: HP z840 motherboard for sale | eBay.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

first of all the z820/z840 use cases with cut out rear I/O  instead of replaceable backplates and the I/O ports between the cases are different do you have the skills/equipment to modify this? if not stop here 

next the power supply outputs on the power supplies are different, the z840 uses a different wiring harness so again unless you are competent in retrofitting the z840 harness into the z820 stop here as again swapping the harness is not a simple swap some changes will need to be made

next, the wiring harness for the z840 needs to come up from the back of the motherboard in specific locations different from the z820 that do not exist in the z820 case so again  you must modify the z820 case cutting and forming it where necessary? if not skilled in wiring or metal working stop here

i personally haven't looked at the CPU mounting locations on my z820 or z840 systems so i can't say if they match exactly which is necessary as close will not suffice

are you beginning to get the idea that buying a used low spec system or  working z840 motherboard is the prudent choice in your case? the z840 system way will get you many spare parts that can be resold to recoup the purchase price or kept for personal use as spares

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.