Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
FoxyPC Tutor
Tutor
20 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can an HP Z620 V1 boot its OS from Samsung SSD NVMe M.2 SSD Evo 960 on a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can an HP Z620 version V1 boot its OS from  Samsung  SSD NVMe M.2 SSD Evo 960 on a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot ?

with wich BIOS revision?
thanks.

Fabrice

13 REPLIES
BPQ99 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 2
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can an HP Z620 V1 boot its OS from Samsung SSD NVMe M.2 SSD Evo 960 on a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot

I'm trying exactly what you're describing with no luck so far.  Windows installation sees the drive and installs without error.  However, when I reboot the machine will not see the drive to boot from.  This thread seems to indicate it should be possible, but three of the last four entries describe the same situation Im in where the machine simply won't boot.

Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
333 20 96
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can confirm a 950 Pro works on Z420 both with the 2011 and the 2013 bootblock date. Cannot confirm the 960 since had not tried that drive. Given the problems people are reporting with the 960 I think it could be one of two things:

- incorrect bios settings - I had to experiment with those (and posted my config in another thread) since initially I was also getting the situation that I could install WIndows 10 on the drive but it would not boot (black screen with cursor)

- the 960 no longer includes the oprom / controller /  whatever that allows the disk to be seen by older machines at startup - on one hand unlikely, but then again the disk is quite expensive and is likely to be used on current / high performance machines which have NVMe support, so maybe they just decided not to bother anymore - I dont know.

The Zx20 workstations are not exactly typical since they are now older machines but still have the performance to at least match the newer ones, however the bios is pretty antiquated. I wish HP would just release a proper bios update so we wouldnt have to waste our time with this topic.

FoxyPC Tutor
Tutor
20 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks  for your insight on the question, so latest evo 960 are a no-go then ?

950's are more pricey than the latest 960s in fact

but if this work s for your z420 with old boot block date and latest bios i guess mazbe its worth to try?

also  i looked up you threads coun't find your bios tweaks-setup making the magic happening :) 

i ll look again!

0 Kudos
FoxyPC Tutor
Tutor
20 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok thanks for sharing , are you running on a V1 older boot block date ? latest bios ? have you flashed it ?

maybe it's worth trying 

0 Kudos
FoxyPC Tutor
Tutor
20 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

would you think an intel NVMe SSD would have better chances for compatibility, aat this stage a havent bought mine yet and i m considering things like the 

INTEL SSD 600p Series M.2, 256GB (SSDPEKKW256G7X1)

maybe a safer although less performing choice ?

any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
333 20 96
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FoxyPC wrote:

ok thanks for sharing , are you running on a V1 older boot block date ? latest bios ? have you flashed it ?

maybe it's worth trying MtothaJ's Bios setup below, wich seems to makes the samsungs 950 pro NVMe series working on his z420 ?

My current machine is a v2 boot block date, but previously I tried it on a v1 boot block date machine and it worked just fine - boot block does not make a difference here.  Bios is the latest v 3.91 with no mods performed.

I have posted two screen shots previously of the disk in the machine:

I am using a cheap generic m.2 to PCIe adapter from Aliexpress (can post exact model if anybody is interested), the disk works fine in either the x8 or the second x16 slot.

Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
333 20 96
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FoxyPC wrote:

would you think an intel NVMe SSD would have better chances for compatibility, aat this stage a havent bought mine yet and i m considering things like the 

INTEL SSD 600p Series M.2, 256GB (SSDPEKKW256G7X1)

maybe a safer although less performing choice ?

any thoughts?

I have no experience with the Intel drive. I think that if you want to give it a try it would be best to buy from a place which accepts returns, given the problems people are reporting with the 960.

0 Kudos
FoxyPC Tutor
Tutor
20 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what "controller" adapter card are you using ? some people say the "Asus"

HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD with some electronics on board makes this  work. Maybe what some are refering as "oprom" or that "Marvell" chip that let the drive beeing rcognized as a boot device. I Think this can make a difference too, and from what i have read online for the last past few days.  

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
333 20 96
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am using a JEYI card, these are available on AliExpress, v.1.41

I would recomend you get the v1.41 and not the 1.3 since from the link below from what I infer it specifically mentions the differences between the two versions and that 1.41 supports NVMe:

http://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/karta-pci-e-x4-adapter-m-2-ngff-dual-m-key-b-ssd-i6518715124.html

My card is exactly like the one in the link above.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation