Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z800 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The SAS drive fit perfectly into the drive bay(1) and I moved the Bay 1 cable to the SAS to the SAS(0) controler plug. Bay(0) is still a SATA drive. I also connected all the remaining unused cables(2,3) to the SAS controler plugs as per the HP Service Doc.

The SAS Bios recognizes SAS drive but it can not be initialized. I tried a different SAS drive and had the same problem. I moved the dive to Bay(2) and changed the Bay(2) plug to SAS(0) controler plug thinking a blind connector might be faulty on Bay(1) but the drive still can't be initialized. I just purchased these used SAS drives on ebay and the seller said they worked, so it might be the Z800. Neither Windows 7 or my recovery disk partition manger can initialize it. I get a I/O error from both programs. I've never used the board SAS controller before. How do I know if it is working properly? Can't find any settings in Bios for SAS drives but during the boot, it shows SAS bios initializing. I'm not using Raid but could that be affecting the second HDD somehow?SAS_Info.jpg

SIP
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

These drives are locked NetApp drives by IBM. They can't be used on anything but NetApp software because they don't have the orginal Hitachi HUS156045VLS600 firmware. See same ebay sales problem from 2015,[edit]

I'm sending the drives back and buying true Hitachi HUS156045VLS600 firmware drives.

SIP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

These drives are locked NetApp drives by IBM. They can't be used on anything but NetApp software because they don't have the orginal Hitachi HUS156045VLS600 firmware. See same ebay sales problem from 2015,[edit]

I'm sending the drives back and buying true Hitachi HUS156045VLS600 firmware drives.

SIP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.