Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gimz
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Can't upgrade my bios and f10 has no screen.

HP Recommended
FU053EA
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

first problem is i can't go in bios settings via f10. i can access bios menu by pressing <Esc> at boot up. but pressing F10 result to a blinking cursor at the top left of the monitor, and the system hangs then.

second problem is because of the above issue, i tried to upgrade to version 1.23 using HPQFlash but the flashing stop at

"Block 512 of 1024" and the system hangs.

My PC was purchase second hand. The model is HP Compaq dc7900 convertible minitower. I have search the internet for answers, but i have not found a solution to this.

Please help. Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the f10 key only works during startup, and if the previous flash stoped halfway you may now have a corupted bios.

try the flash from a USB Key (computers usb 2.0 port only, no addin usb card!!)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01912018

it is not recomended to flash within windows, use the DOS/USB  Key method, or from within the Bios itself

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03089963

latest bios:

sp47156.exe

Latest ME Firmware, download and read directions or you will brick the system!!!

ME Firmware Update and Utilities (bios must be updated first!)

sp54355.exe

NOTE: The Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) 5.2 ME firmware image is 
only intended for the following:
-HP Compaq dc7900 PC
-HP Compaq 8000 Elite PC
-HP Compaq 8000f Elite USDT PC
-HP Compaq 8080 Elite CMT PC
-HP Compaq 6080 Pro
-HP Compaq 6000 Pro PC configurations

This SoftPaq does NOT include a system BIOS image. However, it is recommended 
that the system BIOS be updated to the latest version before upgrading the ME 
firmware. 

When the ME firmware is updated to this new image, it CANNOT be re-flashed to 
an older ME AMT 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2 firmware version.

Several methods for updating the ME firmware may be chosen. Included in this 
package are the following methods:

- The DOS utility updates the Intel ME firmware for the local machine in a DOS 
environment, and also verifies that the firmware has been updated.
- The Microsoft Windows utility updates the Intel ME firmware of the local 
machine in a Microsoft Windows environment, and also verifies that the firmware 
has been updated.

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixes hash operation for Network Access Protection (NAP).

- Adds CyberTrust Root Certificate hashes (GTE CyberTrust Global Root, Baltimore CyberTrust Root and Cybertrust Global Root) to AMT 5.2 firmware.
- Increases maximum Kerberos HTTP redirection ticket size to 10K (was 4K).
0 Kudos
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 527
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sep 28, 2009Hi

So it's https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-compaq-dc7900-convertible-minitower-pc/3784892/model/3995917...

with what/which Operating System currently?

Crucially what MAIN BOARD do you have?

SSID WiFi Born On.pngMine is an 8130.

Have you chosen the correct BIOS update?

From  1.22 Rev. A   8.4 MB   Sep 28, 2009   to   1.23 Rev A 8.4 MB Jan 22, 2010   for  786G1 Main Board?

Business Desktops BIOS Utilities

4.02 Rev. A0.4 MBMar 14, 2011

HP Compaq Business Desktop ME Firmware Update and Utilities

5.2.50.1039 Rev. B2.7 MBNov 17, 2011

HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786G1 BIOS)

1.23 Rev. A8.4 MBJan 22, 2010

Microcode Update for HP 786G and 786H8 BIOS Family Computers with Intel Processors

1.01 Rev. A0.4 MBDec 14, 2010

ROM Firmware for HP Compaq dc7900 (786G1)

v01.27 Rev.A6.7 MBNov 27, 2015

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you install the latest bios (1.23) it allready has the latest microcode included, there is no reasion to try installing the older (look at the dates!!) microcode update.

second the Bios utilities are not relevant, when all the user is doing is updating their bios locally.

while the help on this forum is appreciated, please try not just cut and past as this can cause problems for the person who posted the original request

last, my previous post had the bios and Me firmware SPxxxx updates so posting them again is not required 

0 Kudos
gimz
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response.

i tried just now the DOS method with sp47156.exe, like before it does not flash, it completes the "Transferring System ROM...100%" but "Flashing System ROM...0%" remains as is.

I don't know if my thinking is right, since this PC was purchased second hand, it is possible to lock down BIOS so it can't 

be overwritten? 

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

only thing i can think of is to reset cmos, and try again using the sp bios link i gave you

remove pwr cord, press pwr button for 10 sec

remove cmos battery, then press cmos reset button on MB if you have one for 5 sec

power back on, verify you can enter bios, then power off and reinstall cmos battery.

power on reset time date, and reboot

now try bios update.

0 Kudos
gimz
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think its the same. CPUZ reports:

786G1 v01.16 

03/05/2009

It okay if don't upgrade the bios but couldn't change the setting even if i use BCU tool from Hp. 

It will not accept bios setting changes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
gimz
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did the cmos reset procedure you gave and here are the result:

1. After cmos reset it did go boot up menu but pressing F10 its not responding.

2. I have to pull the AC cord to reboot again and it has to done multiple times until bios completes

auto configuration. I have to press F1 to save.

3. After about 5 reboots, pressing F10 goes to booting W7, date  is weard 2029.

I have to try flashing again as instructed and i'll report the result.

Thanks again...

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

again, F10 only works during startup, and the window for this keypress is very short (about 2/3 seconds max)

try powering on the system, then keep tapping the F10 key quickly as soon as the monitor light changes color, or comes on (or just do the tapping from power on)

also some usb keyboards have issues with entering the bios on startup due to the cheap usb controller board used on the keyboard if possible use a ps2 keyboard/mouse or a logitech usb kbd/mouse

0 Kudos
gimz
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I try to flash again using the file from the previous link, the result is the same stuck  at "Flashing system ROM...0%"

Is there another way to resolve this?

Thanks a lot...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation