Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4

Although it is not officially supported in the list of HP processor specifications does anyone know if the Xeon Platinum 8165 would work in the HP Z8 G4 ? It is the same TDP as the Platinum 8180 which is officially supported.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sometimes with good search skills one can find a HP workstation for sale with a non-supported processor and I looked. No luck. That does not mean it can't work. The HP "qualification" process is exhaustive, and they spend quite a bit of money on that. And, there has to be a reasonable market for the new item. Looking at the Intel "Ark" database it does seem like the 8165 should work, but you might need to be the one to test that idea and then let us know.

A number of us have done such qualification experiments and then posted on our successes (or failures) here. Join the club! You'd surely take the record for the most expensive experiment...

HP Recommended

Ha ! Thanks. Perhaps not the most expensive as I've been offered a remarkable deal for two. I shall consider it.

HP Recommended

Oooooh, that is encouraging news. There is a chance that this motivated seller would let you try with one on the chance you'll buy both. If one works two sholld too.

That is fair to both parties. Please keep us posted.

HP Recommended

Although not proof this Ad I found from a supplier in Albania does suggest that the Platinum 8165 may actually work:161773020_4248579681819990_121021071807119875_n.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.