Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

We got a few Z2 Mini G9's which i wanted to install CentOS on but it doesn't recognize a HD is in it. SO i wanted them to reinstall windows and it also doesn't detect a HD. Is there a BIOS setting or a driver i need to use to install either OS ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

SO apparently the G9's dont support linux (bad choice on HP's part) and in order to reinstall windows i have to do a cloud recovery. Why HP do you make this so hard ? I can't recommend our company buy anymore G9's.

HP Recommended

if you did not muck with the bios settings (if so reset to factory defaults) then you either have a bad MB data port/cable/drive,

or a missing/bad power connection

once the above is correct the bios will show the drive, some Linux installs using "GRUB" play havoc when trying to reinstall the windows bootloader, so you may have to remove the existing Linux partitions on the drive using FDisk before reloading windows

refer to the MS link below for details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-remove-linux-and-install-windows-on-your-computer-f...

the G(9 will support Linux, however HP has elected  to only officially support the releases listed below on this system

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® Workstation 86
• SUSE Linux® Enterprise Desktop 156
• Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04 LTS5

https://ubuntu.com/certified/202112-29793

last, it appears in my opinion based on your post that most of your problems are due to your lack of knowledge on Linux and computer hardware and this is not really HP's fault

HP Recommended

My knowledge is fine, thank you, We had windows on it before. I wiped the hard drive and now cant install windows or linux so its an HP issue. We have 60 G5's and the linux install has worked perfect on all of them. There is something different about the G9's.  We have 4 x G9's so if your saying that the hardware is damaged on all of them then we are the unluckiest company in the world. HP chat said they dont support linux, HP phone support they only support redhat when installed as a factory option. I was told to reinstall Windows on the computer we have to use the HP Cloud recovery tool.

HP Recommended

stop blaming HP,........while HP has approved the Linux distro's  listed, they also say that SUPPORT FOR THOSE LINUX DISTROS COMES FROM THE LINUX DISTRUBITORS THEMSELVES so either pay for support or visit the distro forums and begin asking questions

From the HP z2 G9 quickspecs page:

Linux-ready

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

NOTE: 

Not all features are available in all editions or versions of Ubuntu. Systems might require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers, software, or BIOS update to take full advantage of Ubuntu functionality. Ubuntu is automatically updated and enabled. ISP fees and additional requirements might apply over time for updates.

and if you read the MS link i provided, you will have discovered that being unable to install windows after installing Linux is a very old issue

your i can't (insert item here) so it's obviously a HP problem is very common reply that is almost never correct and i see it used quite often

you might want to locate a Linux certified shop/person and if necessary pay them to either install the OS or train you on doing it

HP Recommended

Ill get help elsewhere. Thanks anyway. No point trying to explain anything to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.