Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a centralized version of HP Support Assistant for IT Professionals who like what the software can do, but do not want it to have to go to each individual desktop to a) install it, b) use it?  I'm envisioning an HP Support Assistant server that uses an agent on each desktop to communicate with that desktop, but the IT Professional can manage everything from the server without having to go to that individual desktop.   

For example, let's say i have 150  desktops in my company that i administer. Bob from Finance calls and says his display keeps flickering.  I launch the HP Support Assistant server software from the server and run a "check for updates" on Bob's machine.  The software says Bob needs a display driver update. I hit install and the driver installs on Bob's  machine.  I could even tell Bob's  machine to restart when done.  After restarting, i can check for updates again and see that Bob's display driver is now current.  

Another example.  I run the server version of HPSA  and can see that 24 of my 150 desktops have a new BIOS update available. I can push that BIOS update from the server and maybe even schedule it for this evening.  

Does anything like that exist? So we dont have to a) install HP Support Assistant on every single computer and b) have to go to that computer to use it?  I also dont want the users to see HP Support Assistant themselves, so that's another reason not to install the current version (as it shows up in their system tray and it makes them ask questions about what it is saying).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jrauman 

HP Support Assistant is meant to run on the computer on which the software is installed.  It is primarily a consumer based product that can help individuals manage and update installed HP software and drivers on their computers.  Although there are other (additional) tools available on business class systems, HPSA can also be used on a business notebook, workstation, or desktop for basic software / driver updates.

As a side bar: 

• HPSA does not "read" the host system for the purpose of detecting uninstalled software / drivers.  The software searches for and issues updates for HP software and drivers installed on the host computer. 
  • My personal opinion:  HPSA should not be used to update the BIOS - instead consider updating the BIOS manually (download-save-install the BIOS package).

Start here:

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll down to the bottom of the website to see more information as available.

For example, click / read the information in HP Whitepapers 

NOTICE:  The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

Notes

• The HP Image Assistant is a system image, update, configuration software meant for business class systems.
  • SDM can still be used to manage systems manufactured before the EOL date for the software.
  • SSM is a deployable management system for computers in your network.

SSM User Guide

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.