Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z800 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a question about, can I change my hp z800 workstation motherboard to some new gaming motherboards, idk why I want to change that but i just want to know that can I ?? It doesn't have USB 3.0 and can I change cpu to i7 or i5 ??

Specs :- cpu :- dual xeon x5660 both 2.80

Graphic card :- 10603gb

Storage :- 1tb HDD ,256 GB SSD

Ram :- 48gb

Windows 10 64 bit

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HP workstations like most major OEM workstation makers do not follow/use the industry standards that most 3rd party motherboard /case/power supply makers follow

your z800 is unique to itself, nothing except for cpu/ram/hard drives/pci-e cards will interchange

this is not a bad thing the z800 was designed to be reliable and class leading when designed/released and even today it holds it's own against newer systems

you can install USB 3.0 cards that use a "PLX" chip to give you 4 usb3.0 ports which are able to run at full usb 3.0 speeds on each port at the same time, however these cards are about 100.00 used on ebay (highpoint makes one)

as for SATA 6GBps, speeds you can buy a adaptec ASR-71605 card for about 70.00 off ebay and 10.00 for a forward breakout SAS/SATA cable and 4 MALE TO MALE sata adapters off ebay for about 25.00 this will allow you to install the card, and using the male adapters connect the asr card to the 4 internal drive bays and still have free ports for ssd's or other drives

doing both will make your z800 ver close in features/performance to the z820

last, i would use a nvme boot loader to allow your system to boot from any of the m.2 PCI-e ssd's using a pci-e x4 card

this will give you much faster drive speeds than any other solution  although still not as fast as pcie 3.0 due to the z800's pci-e 2.0 bus it nonetheless is about 2-3 times faster than a z820's onboard sata III 6GB  ports

check this forum as i've posted how to do this

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.