Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF
Linux

I have been attempting to upgrade the CPU on my HP EliteDesk 705 G1. Unfortunately, the machine becomes unresponsive when I place the new CPU. The CPU in question is: AMD Athlon X4 845 The slot is an FM2+, and the previous CPU was an A6 7400b.

I did some digging around in the BIOS notes and found there was support added recently for the Kaveri and Richland microarchetectures. The Athlon X4 845 is a Carrizo, which is a bit younger than the previous two mentioned architecures. Is there hope for another BIOS update down the line, or is there some kind of work around to make the CPU function in the EliteDesk?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

the  a-xx series cpu's are a compleatly diffrent cpu as opposed to the athlon x4 xxx series cpu's

the bios microcode used between each series is compleatly diffrent and not interchangeable

you can not replace a A-xx series cpu with another series CPU and have it work as you have found out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.