Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Other

I bought a used HP Z840 a little while ago. It is used, and the side panels are the "dark" ones with what looks like anodized aluminum. They are a little beat up and I thought maybe I could find new replacements for them. I found brand new Z820 right side panel also with the dark anodized aluminum. I was wondering if the Z820 panel is compatible with the Z840 chassis and if the dark anodized finish is the same? from any photos I can find, they seem to be compatible...

no luck finding a Z840 left side panel though... the Z820 left panel is available, but then the schematic drawing on the inside would be different so I'll wait until I find a Z840 left panel.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

the HP z820/840 side panels are the same and will swap between the two models.

the inside panel diagram can be swapped between panels if you are reasonably careful with removal using a adhesive removal that will not damage the plastic diagram and you will need to re-apply the adhesive to remount it

note that while the panels swap, the main case chassis are slightly different in regards to internal wiring and storage bays

you can interchange if you are moderately skilled in case modding

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

the HP z820/840 side panels are the same and will swap between the two models.

the inside panel diagram can be swapped between panels if you are reasonably careful with removal using a adhesive removal that will not damage the plastic diagram and you will need to re-apply the adhesive to remount it

note that while the panels swap, the main case chassis are slightly different in regards to internal wiring and storage bays

you can interchange if you are moderately skilled in case modding

Thanks for the reply! 🙂

What do you mean by "plastic diagram" on the inside panel? From what I can tell, it looks like it is some sort of silk screen print or etched into the aluminum. I don't understand what you mean about being able to remove the diagram?

HP Recommended

on all of my z8xx systems the side panel motherboard diagram is a thin clear plastic sheet that has the information printed on it

which makes sense from a cost standpoint, etching or silk screening the side panels would be extremely costly and lock the panel to a specific model whereas mounting a adhesive backed sticker allows the same panel to be used on either model 

HP Recommended

@DGroves - I feel like my mind is blown right now... after reading your message above, I went to look at my Z840 panel insides and did not see any sticker.. or at least, I cannot see the edge of the sticker at all. after your 2nd message, I also checked my son's Z800... and his is even more beat up even on the insides of the panel and there's no clue of the print being a sticker. in fact, the dents in the aluminum panel are on some of the print, and it doesn't look like a sticker... is my eye sight just going really bad that i can't see it? Is it obvious that it's a sticker? Or are the edges of the sticker perfectly lined up with the edges of the metal panel that it's very hard to see? If it is obvious, would you mind posting a picture showing what you see so I can compare to mine...  you've helped me before, so I know you're very knowledgeable about these machines, so right now I feel like I'm missing something very obvious... 

HP Recommended

the sticker is extremely thin, and covers a large area however you can feel the edges by using a fingernail, start at the edge of the panel and move inward to the center you should feel the slight bump when you reach the edge of the sticker

HP Recommended

@DGroves - ok, I'll take a 3rd look... is it one big sticker for all 3 sections? Or 3 separate stickers? There's a error code section, a motherboard schematic section, and a memory installation section.

HP Recommended

it's all one sticker, as i said it's quite large most people can see the edge of the sticker if they look closely

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

it's all one sticker, as i said it's quite large most people can see the edge of the sticker if they look closely

Sorry, I think I'm just going to have to disagree and say that it is not a sticker. I looked at it under a bright light and there's no edge of any kind of sticker. the print looks and feels like it's silk screened on. Maybe there were some units where it was stickered on, but neither my Z840 and Z800 have stickers on the insides of the left panel.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.