Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z820
Linux

Hello to all,

will the new  Z cooler fit on z820 motherboard?

Anyone tried it yet?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, I went ahead and grabbed a couple Z Coolers from eBay. The Z Coolers mounted and fit just fine.

The Z Cooler has a 3-pin fan connector, but of course there is no fan or pump or anything; only pins 1 and 3 were wired (Ground and Sense) and are just screwed into the side of the cooler. However the fan headers on the Z820 (the liquid cooled version anyway,) are 4-pin connections, although the liquid coolers are only wired for the first 3. In order to connect the Z Coolers to the header so at least they'd be grounded, I just took an Xacto knife to the fan connector and cut off one of the guide tabs so I could get it onto pins 1-3 of the motherboard header.

When booting the machine, the BIOS throws an error: "528: CPU requires liquid cooling system" -- however, you can just hit F1 and boot anyway.

Monitoring my CPU temps shows everything is working great. So for ~$200 my Z820 is running very cool and lives to work another day.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

What are you trying to do, push the performance or lower the noise? The Z coolers use heat pipes and were primarily designed for better acoustics, and you can't order the Z840 with liquid cooling. The mounts for the coolers are located in the same place for the LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 sockets but the fan control algorithms may differ between workstations, especially if they're using different fans.

HP Recommended

the hp z420 and z820 systems were available with a HP optional liquid cooling option,... the system was a AIO based system with each cpu having a water filled radiator/fan in place of the air cooled heatsink/fan  going to the intergrated pump/cold plate that mounts on the cpu.

the z620 due to space restraints does not have a factory watercooling option

HP Recommended

Thanks to all for reply,

I'm aiming to achieve higher steady performance at lower noise levels.

Currently, I do have AIO liquid cooling and found it rather noisy.

Z cooler have bigger cooling capacity and no pump, it should lower the noise.

Fan control algorithms may differ between workstations, but z820 and z840  use the same fans in the air shroud and fan assembly.

Fan control is rather simple: higher CPU temperature results in higher fan RPM.

My concern is will Z cooler fit perfectly in z820?

z800 and z820 had the same distances but the difference was that the space around the socket was populated and interfered with the heat-sink.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

while the z820 and z840 use diffrent cpu pinouts for the cpu sockets (the z820 uses 2011 v2 and the z840 uses v3 )

the socket mounting hardware may just be the same,.... if it is then yes the heatsinks may fit each other, but due to diffrences in motherboard socket placement the heatsinks if swapped may not allow the fan cooling shroud to seat properly

the z800/z820 heatsinks will NOT swap as the sockets between the two motherboards are diffrent LGA 1366/2011

HP Recommended

Thanks,

but do you have both z820 and z840 in front of you?

How can the socket placement on the motherboard be different if they share the same air shroud and fan assembly?

Kind regards

HP Recommended

i have z800/z820 systems at home, the z840 systems are work systems so no i can't directly compare/swap parts sorry

HP Recommended

vhunjek,

From looking at several images of both z820 liquid and the 840 Z Cooler- which have a very similar configuration, the impression is that it the Z cooler will fit physically. The Z cooler appears to be slightly narrower than the z820 liquid cooler.The sure way to know would be to compare dimensioned drawings or to superimpose images in elevation that are resized to match at the socket.  So far, it's only possible to estimate, but it seems possible.

It's also an encouraging sign also that there are sellers on Ebay US that list these for both the z820 and z840:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-Z840-Z820-Workstation-CPU-Cooler-Heatsink-with-Fan-749598-001-782506...

If these are listed to work in a z820 but didn't, there would be a lot of returns /refunds!

The very quiet running is a very attractive idea, although my exerpience with single and dual prcocessor air  cooled z620's has been that they are the quietest systems I've had.The z420 liquid cooler is also quiet and reliable.

I'm curious as to how these can be so very efficient without large, direct fans. Have a look at a big dual fan heatsink such as Noctua NH-D15 SSO2.

Again, this is still conjectural, but it seems a promisng possibility.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply

and an effort to write such a long answer. There are few wrong assumptions/facts presented here and there, but it's 0K.

We don't need to bring z8 in this disscussion, Z cooler was introduced for z840 with intel 160 W processor: Xeon e5-2687W v3. And it was an option for z440.

I'm repeating, z820 and z840 use the same air shroud and fan assembly: 684574-001 .

So, if fits into the same 684574-001 it should be fine for z820, my only worry is if there is enough clearance around the socket not to colide with some of the motherboard elements.

I appretiate all the help that I'm getting, but, to lower signal to noise ratio, please answer in this thread only if you are able to install Z cooler in z820 and have definite answer: it fits/works or not.

Otherwise, we'l get thread that's who knows how many pages long, with most of the posts that don't contribute to finding the answer. Again, I appretiate the argumented discussion and always love to hear other experiences and anegdotes and thanks to all who want to help.

Just to repeat my goal again, I wan't to use Z cooler for performance stability (designed for 160w CPU), lower noise (no pump / moving parts) and, the most important reason, for  reliability  (no moving parts to break/wear, no leaks).

Kind regards

HP Recommended

BambiBoomZ is correct the z620 does not have a water cooling option (my mistake) i ment to write z420,.. i will correct my previous post

as for the posters request about confirmation that the cpu coolers will swap between the z820/z840

this ebay seller does state that they will fit

https://www.ebay.com/p/Heatsink-for-HP-Z840-749598-001-782506-001-No-Fan-Fits-Z820-Also/1175253944

the "Z" series cooler  uses a vapor chamber /heatpipe design  that does not require a pump to move the coolant, and is cooled by the fans in the z820/z840 air shroud 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/zcooler.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.