Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my WD MyBook 6TB is plugged in a USB3 port and I reboot it just sits there at the HP logo and does not boot.  When I pull the power plug out and retry it, then it works fine.  Anyone ever had this situation? The other externals in the USB ports it boots perfectly.

Above The Firehouse
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

first of all turn off the HP logo boot screen in the bios so you can actually see the boot sequence,

also while in the bios, set the boot order to HD/SSD first CD/DVD sec and then USB as third boot device

now boot system, look at boot screen and if it boots normally, i suspect the ext usb drive may have at some time been a bootable drive and it is now missing some of the boot files

note: that it's normal for a system to pause up to 10/15 sec for each usb device attached during the boot so if you have several usb devices luke usb keys/usb ext drives attached each device will add to the boot time and this is normal behavior

if you have the space move all data off the usb drive and reformat as a  non bootable NTFS drive rather than it's default fat32 format and set the bios to  to boot usb before the HD and you should now have the bios check the usb, see no bootable devices and then move on to checking for the HD/SS devices

HP Recommended

Before there was text in the Mini OROM window and that is not showing anything.  How do I turn off the hp logo? i have it to boot to ssd first.  It takes a long time to do that when it boots.  Used to be fast and I am using the latest BIOS.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

there is this thing called a "SEARCH ENGINE" google,yahoo,bing and so on...............

typing in a question there is highly recommended i also recommend reading the user and service manuals that hp has posted online for your model i also recommend you reset the bios back to factory defaults, again this is in the user/service manual or it can be found via a search engine

example: "  how do i reset hp z420 bios to defaults "  (no quotes)

example: " How do I turn off the hp logo  (no quotes)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.