Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilikdarm
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Computer starts up normally, a few minute later shutdown with no explanation -8200 Ellite Microtow

HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Ellite Microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My Office computer (Intel Core i5-2400 (3.10 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores Ellite 8200 Microtower)of above model of 2013 (purchase) starts up normally , after few minutes (10 - 45 min) computer shutdown while working with no explanation with sometime off-white screen or blue screen for 3-5 sec and than computer shutdown totally. what is the problem I can not understand please help me. same model 4 computer has same problem. all thing done from thermal paste , SMPS change etc nothing happen.

13 REPLIES 13
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

and what do the windows log files show? i suspect a thermal issue many people do not really know how much thermal compound to apply, or what the proper pressure between the cpu/heatsink should be as they have not done this before

also, is the cooler free of dust and do all fans spin? and is the heatsink getting hot?

To view the Windows Setup event logs
  1. Start the Event Viewer, expand the Windows Logsnode, and then click System.
  2. In the Actions pane, click Open Saved Log and then locate the Setup.etl file. By default, this file is available in the %WINDIR%\Panther directory.
  3. The log file contents appear in the Event Viewer.
0 Kudos
kilikdarm
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes sir all 3 fans(smps, chasis, heatsink) moving, before showning a hardware engineer computer does not starts in one chance, it starts after 2-3 attempts, 1 st attempt start with high speed of 3 fans, than cold shutdown, again try , again try than computer start, after first time its work for 1 hour or more and there after may be for 15-30min. stops with bright yellow, dull white, or blue screen for 4-5 sec , afterthat computer stops, with msg " Monitor going to Sleep".

I check the log file Monday, now enjoing week end rest. Thank you for answering my question. 

@DGroves wrote:

and what do the windows log files show? i suspect a thermal issue many people do not really know how much thermal compound to apply, or what the proper pressure between the cpu/heatsink should be as they have not done this before

also, is the cooler free of dust and do all fans spin? and is the heatsink getting hot?

2. In the Actions pane, click Open Saved Log and then locate the Setup.etl file. By default, this file is available in the %WINDIR%\Panther directory.

@DGroves wrote:

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hmmmmm, ....could possibly be a failing power supply, most hp supplies have a self test function

check the HP service manual for your model and see if it has the self test check

0 Kudos
kilikdarm
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sir, I don't know where from the service manual I get. pls specify the 2-3 way how i test it.

The following are the log file content:

Level                                   date                            source                         even id                                                     task category

1. Critical                          12:54:07                  Kernel Power                    41                                                               63

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutdown first. This error could be ccaused if the system stopped responding , crased or lost power unexpectedly.

2. Intel Mgmt engine Interface driver successfully started

3.Information                 12:54:10                 

Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following 

1 Idle State, 0 Performance state, 8 throttle state

3.Information                 12:54:11                 

Processor 1 in group 0 exposes the following 

4.Information                 12:54:11                 

Processor 2 in group 0 exposes the following 

5.Information                 12:54:11                 

Processor 3 in group 0 exposes the following 

Another msg                                                                               27                                     None

Warning : Intel(R)82579 Gigabit Network connection. Network Link is disconnected,

Error:  The following boot start or system -start driver failed to load-cdrom. I disconnect the CDROM.

Error: Audit events have been dropped by the transport 0.                                      1101                              Event Processing

Error: The previous system shutdown at --------  on ------ was unexpected.    6008                              None

These are the error I found in the Event Viewer. How to attached file Setup.etl?

0 Kudos
kilikdarm
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Computer Model

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Microtower

i5-2400 CPU@3.10 GHz , 4 core

Ram-2 GB Samsung, Win7 Prof, 32bit, SP1

WDC-WD5000AAKX Firmwire-18.01H18-Sata1

Chipset -Intel 6 Series.

Srl.No. [EDIT]

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you have to check ALL of the log files that relate to the System or the OS, not just the startup/shutdown one

google, "HP 8200 elite microtower service manual"

have you tried reinstalling windows?, or at least doing a system restore

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-rest...

0 Kudos
kilikdarm
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I am reinstall win7 prof 32bit sp1 after applying thermal paste and all update install of 2012 purchase year 2013.Sir, my office computer is a ghost computer , yesterday when I connect it with wired connection to mphone than it works      for  2 hours at a stretch without stop(after that it will stop with off-white screen for 10-15 sec than shutdown totally)and I check all updates but not install , only try to install two of them - 1) killbit s/w )        2) IE11 ( now IE9 is there) . when the computer working I found cpu temp with Open Hardware S/W that CPU max temp. increase to 52-56 C from 46C and working temp in between 38- 42, in other day max . temp of 4 CPU are inbetween 45-48 C. sometimes when computer when shutoff suddenly than the three fans working with very high speed and sound, when I wants to hot shutdown with power button it would not stop , after 2-3 attempt it will stop. 

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you are describing a thermal related event, i recomend you install HP Advisor for your model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01969885

many cpu temp programs are not acurate in reading the actual tCase tempture and simply guess

one of the better programs is coretemp (current build 1.12.1)

0 Kudos
kilikdarm
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok, Sir I download(coretemp and hp advisor )it first than result given to you. thank you.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation