Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My workstation is running windows 10, all is well. i have 4 SCU ports that i would like to utilize. After installing the SAS driver I can see the drives in windows. But after restarting that pc hangs up in boot. When the drivers are disconnected pc again boot up to windows just fine.
What can I do to solve this issue?
Thanks,
Nick

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

NickZ,

It's possible it's a driver issue, possibly that Windows 10 is not recognizing or finding the main chipset (C602) driver and therefore doesn't run the SCU controller.  Is the installed copy of Windows 10 the HP OEM one? That might a route to solving it.

I hope others more expert will comment.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

windows 10 has native drivers for the intel c602 chipset  included so it should see any drives attached

it's possible that one or more drives is defective or has a bad MBR from a previous usage

i would install win 10 on one drive, boot, then manually connect one of the suspect drives and then using disk manager remove any existing partition information and create a new simple primary partition, then remove power then data cable

connect the next drive and do the same till all drives have been repartitioned

or you can use a cd/dv with Dban on it and boot from that dvd and wipe the drives

last check the drives health using the drive makers diag program, again boot system connect suspect drive, run diag program, note results. the diag program can also zero out a drive (remove partition info) but can not create a partion

HP Recommended

DGroves,

Here’s a thread on this subject from a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/5ec19y/hp_z420_disks_on_scu_ports_not_recognized_by_win10/

Solved HP Z420 disks on SCU ports not recognized by Win10 self.homelab

submitted 1 year ago by ruralcricket

I have an HP Z420. There are two disk controllers one AHCI and the other SCU. There are 4 SATA connectors on this controller. Disks connected are reported in the BIOS, but are not reported by Windows 10. I suspect I'm missing a setting or driver.

I've downloaded the most recent Intel Storage drivers, but they report that Windows 10's are newer.

Windows 10 Pro, Anniversary update.

6 commentssharesavehidereport

all 6 comments
sorted by: best
Want to add to the discussion?

Post a comment!

[–]NinjaJc012xSupermicro 1366 1U 2 points 1 year ago

Are they formatted? Check under Windows's disk/partition management thing (Right click on start, then "Disk Management")

permalinkembedsave

[–]ruralcricket[S] 1 point 1 year ago

Yes, I fully formatted the 6TB drive as GPT in another system to verify the disk SMART status. The disk doesn't appear in Disk Management or it's CMD version DiskPart.

permalinkembedsaveparent

[–]ruralcricket[S] 2 points 1 year ago

Solved. Windows 10 wasn't detecting the C602 controller. Ended up needing to install drivers from Intel manually. I had already tried Intel's driver download tool, but that didn't work.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-W...

permalinkembedsave

[–]lorvorc 1 point 1 year ago

You should find the necessary drivers on the support pages for the Z420 from HP. Probably here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5225034&swItemId=wk_151465_1&swEnvOid=419...

Regards

permalinkembedsave

Been there, done that. No Luck. Sigh.

permalinkembedsaveparent

Finally had time to dig some more. Windows wasn't detecting required drivers for the Intel C602 chip set. Google helped me find the correct drivers. The Intel Driver discovery/download tool failed me.

permalinkembedsaveparent

Unfortunately the OP did not list the specific drivers that solved  the problem.

IBambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.