3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Computer wont recognise HP blue ray drive at all

HP Recommended
Dell Precision Workstation 490
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Dell 490 workstation as my personal pc.  It is very reliable and has been upgraded (memory/graphics card/operating system/new power supply etc) several times.  Recently I installed a HP blue ray reader/writer model HP bd335.  Yes I had bought it several years ago and never installed and now HP no longer support!

I have removed the old IDE CD drive but the "new " HP Drive is connected by SATA cable.  along with power.  It does power up and I can open and close door but despite connecting SATA cable to any of remaining 3 SATA motherboard connectors the new drive is not detected by the system.

I checked the BIOS and it is not there either.  Usually I have been able to resolve these issues but this one has me stumped.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mickyjoem1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,004 10,595 1,025 3,124
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have heard of AntiVirus software causing problems if the license was expired, perhaps that All-in-one software is similar.

In general, DVD/Bluray drives do not need any special drivers.  Windows OS supplies the drivers.  The SATA bus may need drives but if one SATA drive is already working, then the drivers are usually OK.

Glad it eventually worked out.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows will not show the drive if the BIOS does not show the drive.  I would suggest trying that drive on another computer to see if it might show up on  a different computer.  It is does, then troubleshoot the Dell or try a USB to SATA adapter to see if it can see it then.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

mickyjoe1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wow, good suggestion.  I will try.  It might take me a couple of days as I have a new gaming pc which am putting together and will see if it woprks there.  Will reply then.  Like the idea of a converter..what form wud that take?  AN INTERNAL CABLE FROM THE sata connector on Blue ray drive connected to a usb connector on motherboard?

Thanks for getting back so quick and the good suggests.  Will thumbs up at end

mickyjoem1

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Something like this is nice where the adapter supplies the power also.

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Technology-Drive-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00HNXZXYU/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_enc...

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encodin...

I'm not an HP employee.

mickyjoe1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the funny thing.  As each of the responses broadened my repertoire, none actually solved the problem.  However the problem seemed to solve itself.  I accepted that the connection to the motherboard should eliminate the need for a driver update.  I did not know that.  The idea of cable connections made me spend more time in local electronics store acquiring useful cables for other applications on the motherboard. 

The drive after about 2 weeks just appeared in the File explorer.  This happened soon after I had opted for an external cd drive that I had and connected through usb to front of PC for loading up some additional unrelated software.  I do not claim that that solved the problem nor the following.  I looked at several proprietary driver updateing software from web and was close to buying but held off.  I already had driver software on pc which I run regularly , but as mentioned the SATA connection I believe should not require a driver update!

The most significant thing I think MAY have been that I renewed my license for an expired "All in one" software that protects, optimises and restores pc's.  It was soon after I did this and ran that I noticed that the drive was appearing in file explorer.  It is now working correctly and very happy.  Its almost as if PC had to get used to the new SATA demand and took nearly 2 weeks to do.

Thanks for all the help guys...hope this may help others persist 🙂

mickyjoem1

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have heard of AntiVirus software causing problems if the license was expired, perhaps that All-in-one software is similar.

In general, DVD/Bluray drives do not need any special drivers.  Windows OS supplies the drivers.  The SATA bus may need drives but if one SATA drive is already working, then the drivers are usually OK.

Glad it eventually worked out.

I'm not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation