Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just bought a HP Prodesk 600 G2 and have been researching booting from PCIe SSD drives.  I have not received the computer yet, but should receive it Thursday. I read this forum thread and  it makes sense, but seems to only apply to the Mini  based on an excerpt from the following table from this link.

SLOTS                                             DM                                                   SFF

Turbo Drive G2 (M.2 PCIe)     1 - M.2 PCIe x4-2230                    N/A
                                                    (for WLAN)

1 - M.2 PCIe x4-2280
                                                   (for storage)

PCI Express x1 (v3.0)                 N/A                                         3 -2.5"� low profile
                                                                                                        6.6"� length
                                                                                                        10W max. power

PCI Express x16 (v3.0)            N/A                                           1 - 2.5"� low profile
                                                                                                               6.6"� length
                                                                                                                35W max. power

Based on this it appears that I need to buy a NVME adapter M.2 PCIe SSD to PCIe x4/x8/x16 converter card. Is this correct, or does the machine directly support the NVME M.2 SSD?  If it supports it directly, which slot do I use? Thanks for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

you have already answered your own question, the specs you posted cleary show two m.2 slots on the motherboard, one is used for the wireless and the other is used for a storage device (ssd) in the 2280 size format

this model is available in several form factors

please look at the HP quickspecs for your model for more information on the exact model you bought

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04818340.pdf

a m.2 connector can be on a motherboard or on a pci-e card as it's just a connector and this conector can be wired up in several different ways with both PCI and PCI-E being commonly used

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.