Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I am using a PCI-e device to turn on remotely the computer (it's not WOL. I can connect the computer outside of the network).

This device uses the pins of the Power Button to turn on the Computer.

On my older workstation (Dell T5810) I had an additional Power button connector to do it. I could also use the original power connector.

But on this HP Z640 motherboard, with an ALL-IN-ONE power cable, I can't connect it. 

Anyone have any idea on how to make it work? Or maybe an alternative way to do it? I want to turn on a computer (it's not hibernated or sleeping. The computer is shutdown)

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l16003.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

if you remove the front cover and note the power switch wires colors then go to the motherboard front panel header and see which pins they connect to you can then attach your wires to them how you do this is up to you as there are 4 or 5 ways i can think of off hand

i personally would solder the necessary female 2 pin connector (that matches the cards 2 pin connector) onto the z640's power on leads near the  connector that mates to the motherboard

as i recall the z640 panel pinout is very much identical to the z420/820 google for those pinouts

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I couldn't find the Pinout on the Internet. And dismantling the front panel won't help. I can't recognize which cables are them.

Anyone can share the Z640 Front Panel pinout? It's a 26-pin cable.

Please check these pictures:

hp1.png

hp6.pnghp2.jpghp3.jpg

HP Recommended

first if all, YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT COVER TO SEE THE SMALL BOARD THAT THE POWER BUTTON  USES TO POWER ON THE SYSTEM it's not part of the usb/audio front i/o panel

next i told you that the earlier Zx20 models have the same pinouts and yet you are still asking for the pinouts??

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Front-panel-connector-pinout/td-p/5540808

most of the pins are the same between the z640/z620 for pwr/Hd light, simply ignore the usb 3 pins

last, you can use a multimeter to pinout the power button pad(s) on the i/o board to the matching wire on the plug end

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z640-workstation/6978835/manuals

HP Z440, Z640, and Z840 Workstation Series - Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

It's not a Zx20 model. It's a Z640. And it has a 26 pin cable, while the Z620 has a 16 pin cable (how can I know which are usb cables without pinout?)

I have removed the front cover and had the part on my hand. But it's not possible to ID the correct cables from the PCB circuit. Front USB and Power button are together indeed.

Regarding the multimeter, that is a valid point. I don't have one yet. I will try to get one in the next weekend.

Still need the pinout. Does HP support provide it?

Screenshot_2.pngSem título.png

HP Recommended

It's a Z640. And it has a 26 pin cable, while the Z620 has a 16 pin cable (how can I know which are usb cables without pinout?)

look at the z620 motherboard  pinout, note the missing pin now look at the z640 motherboard note the missing pin

or connect the usb 3 cable, connect one probe to the cable end use the other probe and check the connector that connects to the motherboards.................do i have to say more?

if you don't understand the above or are uncomfortable doing the mod yourself take it to a local shop they can do this in about 10 min

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.